BAFTA unveils sixth Filmmakers Market
Highlights include a British producers’ masterclass with speakers including Damian Jones (Belle) and Kate Ogborn (The Deep Blue Sea).
The Sargent-Disc BAFTA Filmmakers’ Market – an annual networking and skills development event for first-time feature filmmakers – is to run its sixth edition at BAFTA’s London headquarters on July 5.
The event will comprise of a day of masterclasses, screenings, and speed surgeries to help improve creative and business skills, as well as offering advice to help to navigate and progress in the industry.
Highlights of the day include:
- a British producers’ masterclass with speakers including Damian Jones (Belle, The Iron Lady) and Kate Ogborn (The Spirit of ‘45, The Deep Blue Sea);
- a session on ‘how to find your cast’, presented by RADA, with casting director Des Hamilton (Nymphomaniac, This Is England);
- a series of ‘meet the pro’ roundtable sessions, presented by Creative Skillset, with top craft talent, including costume designer Jane Petrie (Top Boy, How I Live Now) and former first AD producer Dan Winch (Tyrannosaur/ What We Did on Our Holiday);
Other activity at the Sargent-Disc BAFTA Filmmakers’ Market will include:
- Screenings and Q&As from festivals and film schools such as Sheffield Doc/Fest, London Short Film Festival, National Film and Television School, and London Film School, as well as the shorts nominated at this year’s EE British Academy Film Awards.
- Roundtable ‘meet the pro’ sessions, presented by Creative Skillset, with speakers including hair and make-up designer Catherine Scoble.
- Film Forums on script development, directing and distribution.
- Masterclasses on budgeting and scheduling, casting and filming across England.
- Speed surgeries on topics including sourcing music and pitching a project.
- A networking reception for all participants at the end of the day, supported by British Council and Grolsch.
Alongside Screen International, industry partners include the British Council, Creative England, Creative Europe Desk UK, Creative Skillset, Film4, Film London, Grolsch, London Film School, London Short Film Festival,
National Film and Television School, The Production Guild, The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Sara Putt Associates, Sheffield Doc/Fest, Soda Pictures, Story Campus and ThinkSync.
All main programme tickets are £6 each. Screenings, speed sessions and the networking drinks are free to anyone who books a ticket for a main programme event. For the full programme and to book, go to http://bit.ly/FilmmakersMarket.