Immersive sound system installed in sixteen cinemas; studios embracing mixing technology.
Immersive sound technology Dolby Atmos has been installed in sixteen more cinemas across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
The technology allows each speaker its own feed, enabling new front, surround and ceiling-mounted height channels for panning of select sounds.
Studios to use the Dolby Atmos sound mixing format in 2012 include Disney/Pixar (Brave), DreamWorks Animation (Rise of the Guardians), Twentieth Century Fox (Taken 2, Chasing Mavericks, Life of Pi), and Warner Bros. (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) taking the number of titles to use the technology to six.
2013 titles to get the Dolby Atmos treatment include Gravity and Pacific Rim from Warner Bros. and Star Trek into Darkness from Paramount.
To date, the UK’s only Dolby Atmos enabled cinema is Empire Leicester Square, London.
Full list of cinemas with Dolby Atmos:
• Cineplexx Donau Plex – Vienna, Austria
• Kino Arena Bulgaria Mall – Sofia, Bulgaria
• Premiere Cinemas, Park Hostivař – Prague, Czech Republic
• Bio Naestved – Naestved, Denmark
• Mégarama Pian Medoc – Bordeaux, France
• Pathé Wepler – Paris, France
• Cinecittà – Nuremburg, Germany
• Traumpalast Backnang – Stuttgart, Germany
• JT Luxor Theater Hoogeveen – Hoogeveen, Netherlands
• JT Theatres Vlaardingen – Rotterdam, Netherlands
• SF Kino Kristiansand – Kristiansand, Norway
• SF Kino Sandvika – Oslo, Norway
• Ster Kinekor, Gateway – Durban, South Africa
• Cinesa Diagonal Mar – Barcelona, Spain
• Ocine – Valladolid, Spain
• Empire Cinemas, Leicester Square – London, UK