Cannes Film Festival organisers have announced the line-up for the Cinefondation and short films competition.
The Cinefondation supports up and coming international filmmakers, including work from film schools. It includes 17 features this year, which will be shown during the festival. There are nine pictures in the short film competition.
The 2009 Cinéfondation Selection:
- Il Naturalista, dirs: Giulia Barbera, Gianluca Lo Presti, Federico Parodi and Michele Tozzi (Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia, Italy)
- Le Contretemps, dir: Dominique Baumard (La femis, France)
- Sylfidden, dir: Dorte Bengtson (Den Danske Filmskole, Denmark)
- #1, dir: Noamir Castera (ENSAV La Cambre, Belgium)
- Gutter, dir: Daniel Day (New York University, US)
- Traverser, dir: Hugo Frassetto (La Poudriere, France)
- Don’t Step Out Of The House, dir: Jo Sung-hee (KAFA, South Korea)
- Diploma, dir: Yaelle Kayam (The Sam Spiegel Film & TV School, Israel)
- Kasia, dir: Elisabet Llado (IAD, Belgium)
- By The Grace Of God, dir: Ralitza Petrova (NFTS, United Kingdom)
- El Boxeador, dir: Juan Ignacio Pollio (Universidad del Cine, Argentina)
- Chapa, dir: Thiago Ricarte (FAAP, Brazil)
- Segal, dir: Yuval Shani (Tel-Aviv University, Israel)
- Goodbye, dir: Song Fang (Beijing Film Academy, China)
- Baba, dir: Zuzana Kirchnerova-Spidlova (FAMU, Czech Republic)
- Malzonkowie, dir: Dara Van Dusen (PWSFTViT, Poland)
- The Horn, dir: Yim Kyung-dong (Kaywon School of Art, South Korea)
Short Films in Competition:
- The Six Dollar Fifty Man, dir: Mark Albiston, Louis Sutherland (New Zealand)
- Larsog Peter, dir: Daniel Borgman (Denmark)
- Rumbo A Peor, dir: Alex Brendemuhl (Spain)
- Missen, dir: Jochem De Vries (The Netherlands)
- L’Homme A La Gordini, dir: Jean-Christophe Lie (France)
- Ciao Mama, dir: Goran Odvorcic (Croatia)
- Klusums, Laila Pakalnina (Latvia)
- Arena, dir: Joao Salaviza (Portugal)
- After Tomorrow, dir: Emma Sullivan (UK)
Cinefondation also sponsors the Residence, which runs twice a year and invites filmmakers to Paris to work on their first or second film, while the Atelier of the Cinefondation brings 15 directors and their producers to the festival to help them complete the financing for their projects.
Cinefondation alumni includes Tsai Ming-Liang, who is in this year’s official selection with Visages (Faces).