Brian De Palma, TerryGilliam and Atom Egoyan are just three of the film artists who have signed forthe Toronto International Film Festival's Talent Lab, a four-day artisticdevelopment programme for emerging Canadian filmmakers held during the event. 22participants from across Canada were selected.
De Palma, a perennialaudience member at TIFF, has agreed to join Canadian author Michael Ondaatje asa governor of the Lab while Gilliam, whose Tideland premieres at the event, will join screenwriter TonyGrisoni as a lecturer as will producer Jeremy Thomas, whose attendance waspreviously announced.
Egoyan, whose Where TheTruth Lies makes its North Americanpremiere, will also speak as will Sandra Cunningham, the co-producer.
Other prominent filmindustry guest lecturers include producer/director Lee Daniels (Shadowboxer, The Woodsman), cinematographer Christopher Doyle (The Quiet American, In The MoodFor Love), screenwriter Naomi Foner(Bee Season), production designerAlex McDowell (Corpse Bride),director Carlos Reygadas (Battle In Heaven) and director Jean-Marie Teno (A Trip To The Country, Chief!).
The TelefilmCanada-sponsored News & Views programme also announced its line-up.
- Sharing Stories: Craftingthe Soundtrack Deal, with director Jean-Marc Vallee (C.R.A.Z.Y.) his music supervisor Lucie Bourgouin, directorScott McFadyen (Metal: A Headbanger's Journey) and musician and actor Matt Murphy (co-composer andstar of The Life And Hard Times Of Guy Terrifico) discuss the ins and outs of soundtracks.
- The Science and Art ofPackaging Indie Films for the International Marketplace with Rick Hess (CAA),Hal Sadoff (ICM), and Gary Hamilton (Arclight Films).
- Spotlight on DocumentaryMarketing and Distribution: Docs Coming Up the Inside Lane with panelists MarkUrman (THINKFilm), Ron Mann (filmswelike), and Adam Leipzig (NationalGeographic).
- Producers Spotlight:Participant Productions. Speakers include Jeff Skoll, CEO & founder; RickyStrauss, president; Meredith Blake, senior vice president, corporate & communityaffairs and president, Participant Foundation; Chris Salvaterra, executive vicepresident of Creative Affairs and production.
- Mobile Invasion! ComingSoon to a Phone Near You will look at content for mobile telephony. Speakersinclude David Neale (vice president of new product development, RogersWireless), Roma Khanna (senior vice president, content, CHUM TV), Nuno Bernardo(president, Beactive), and filmmaker Don McKellar.
- The Incredible ShrinkingWindow: What You Need to Know About the Changing Market will discuss the windowbetween theatrical and DVD release dates.Speakers including Todd Wagner(2929 Entertainment) and Jeff Levy-Hinte (Antidote Films) discuss the facts ofnegotiating a distribution contract. Moderated by producer Steve Hoban (CopperheadEntertainment).