The San Sebastian International Film Festival has announced a 17-strong film line-up for its New Directors sidebar, which includes British director Tom Harper’s new film The Scouting Book For Boys.
The line-up also includes Argentinian director Pablo Aguero, who won the best short film jury prize at Cannes in 2006 for First Snow, and Mexican director Rigoberto Perezcano, whose immigration drama Norteado won every award in San Sebastian’s Films In Progress section at last yearl. Three films – Pelin Esmer’s 10 To 11 (11’E 10 Kala ), La Mujer Sin Piano by Javier Rebollo and Álvaro Pastor and Antonio Naharro’s Me Too (Yo Tambien) are also in the festival’s Official Selection.
The films will compete for the Kuxta-New Director Award, which comes with a $127,000 (€90,000) prize to be shared between the director and the film’s Spanish distributor.
The section, which will be sponsored by local bank Kuxta, showcases work from first and second time directors, and has previously included films by Isabel Coixet, Walter Salles, Francois Ozon and Laurent Cantet.
Kuxta, which has signed a €250,000 sponsorship deal with the festival, will also be involved with the Basque movie program and the kids sessions at the Velodrome site and a number of other events.
Kutxa New Directors line-up:
- 77 Doronship, Dir: Pablo Agüero (Argentina-France)
- Animal Town, Dir: Jeon Kyuhwan (South Korea-USA)
- Leo’s Room (Le Cuarto De Leo), Dir: Enrique Buchichio (Uruguay)
- Desperados On The Block, Dir: Tomasz E. Rudzik (Germany)
- Eight Times Up (Huit Fois Debout), Dir: Xabi Molia (France)
- The Day God Walked Away (Le Jour Ou Dieu Est Parti En Voyage), Dir: Philippe Van Leeuw (Belgium)
- Masks (Mascares), Dir: Elisabet Cabeza and Esteve Riambau (Spain)
- Before My Eyes (Min-Dit), Dir: Miraz Bezar (Germany-Turkey)
- Norteado, Dir: Rigoberto Perezcano (Mexico-Spain)
- Ori, Dir: Miguel Angel Jiménez Colmenar (Spain-Georgia)
- Together (Sammen), Dir: Matias Armand Jordal (Norway)
- The Scouting Book For Boys, Dir: Tom Harper (UK)
- Seasons In The Sun, Dir: Zhang Huilin (China)
- Perfect Happiness (Zorion Perfektua), Dir: Jabi Elortegi (Spain)
- 10 To 11 (11’E 10 Kala), Dir: Pelin Esmer (Turkey-France-Germany)
- La Mujer Sin Piano, Dir: Javier Rebollo (Spain)
- Me Too (Yo Tambien), Dir: Álvaro Pastor, Antonio Naharro (Spain)