San Sebastian International Film Festival has revealed 13 titles will compete in this year’s Horizontes Latinos section, which covers the new projects coming out of Latin America.
This year’s selection will kick off with Cary Joji Fukanaga’s popular US-Mexico emigration drama Sin Nombre, which picked up two awards at Sundance earlier this year. The film follows the travails of Sayra, a poverty stricken teenager who flees Hounduras with her father to live in the US.
The line-up includes a number of titles that made their first appearance in last year’s Films In Progress section at San Sebastian, such as Carlos Serrano Azcona’s emotional debut feature The Tree (El Arbol), which has also appeared at the Rotterdam international film festival; Santiago Loza’s La Invencion De La Carne, an Argentinian relationship drama which screened at Locarno; and Javier Fuentes Leon’s Colombian-Peruvian-French-German romantic drama Contracorriente.
There are also films which made a mark at other key international film festivals, including Adrien Biniez’ Uruguayan drama Gigante (an award winner at Berlin), and The Wind Journeys, Daniel And Anna and Huacho, which all screened at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.
Horizontes Latinos section:
- Sin Nombre, Dir: Cary Joji Fukunaga (USA-Mexico)
- El Arbol, Dir: Carlos Serrano Azcona (Spain-Mexico)
- Contracorriente, Dir: Javier Fuentes-Leon (Peru-Colombia-France-Germany)
- Daniel Y Anna, Dir: Michel Franco (Mexico-Spain)
- Francia, Dir: Israel Adrian Caetano (Argentina)
- Gigante, Dir: Adrian Biniez (Uruguay)
- Huacho, Dir: Alejandro Fernandez Almendras (Chile-France-Germany)
- Ilusiones Opticas, Dir: Cristian Jimenez (Chile-Portugal-France)
- La Invencion De La Carne, Dir: Santiago Loza (Argentina)
- Marea De Arena, Dir: Gustavo Montiel Pages (Mexico-Argentina)
- Perpetuum Mobile, Dir: Nicolas Pereda (Mexico-Canada)
- El Ultimo Verano De La Boyita, Dir: Julia Solomonoff (Argentina)
- The Wind Journeys (Los Viajes Del Viento), Dir: Ciro Guerra (Colombia-Argentina-Germany-Netherlands)