As with Congorama, Jure is written and will be directed by Falardeau and produced by Luc Dery and Kim McGraw of Montreal-based micro_scope. The story follows the raucous if traumatic coming-of-age of a young boy with an over-developed imagination and a keen interest in self-destruction. Christal Films will distribute in Canada.
Pool's next film, Pieds Nus, will be produced by Michael Mosca and Lyse Lafontaine of Equinoxe Productions, whose A Sunday In Kigali won six Jutras. The screenplay, by Isabelle Hebert, tells of a young girl's maturation amidst and despite her tumulltous family life. Equinoxe Films will distribute.
Il Faut Prendre Le Taureau Par Les Contes is Picard's follow-up to his well-received debut, L'Audtion. Picard directs a magic-realism screenplay by Fred Pellerin about the outlandish adventures of the son of a witch. Lorraine Richard and Luc Martineau of Cite-Amerique will produce.
Telefilm is also backing two international coproductions: Montreal's Productions Thalie, Paris-based Les Films Du Veyryer and Switzerland's Bohemian Films will coproduce La Cite Des Ombres, a period drama set in 19th century North Africa written and to be directed by Kim Nguyen. Christal is distributing in Canada.
The second film is Les Doigts Croches, a coproduction of Remstar Productions and an undisclosed French production company. France's Frederic Berthe will direct a screenplay by prolific Quebec screenwriter Ken Scott (Seducing Dr. Lewis, The Rocket). The story follows a gang of crooks who find themselves on a holy pilgrimage through Spain.
Other titles announced include :
- From writer-director Jean-Philippe Duval, Dede, A Travers Les Brumes, a biopic of the seminal Quebecois musician Andre Fortin who took his own life in 2000. It will be produced by Max Films' Roger Frappier and Luc Vandal and distributed in Canada by TVA.
- In Le Grand Depart, writer-director Claude Meunier tells the story of an older man who leaves his family for a woman half his age. From producers Denise Robert and Daniel Louis of Cinemaginaire. The film will be handled by Alliance Atlantis Vivafilm.
- Cruising Bar 2, a sequel to the 1989 hit comedy, Cruising Bar, to be directed by Robert Menard and the original film's lead actor Michel Cote from a script by Menard, Cote and Claire Wojas. Menard will produce through Les Productions Videofilms. Alliance Atlantis Vivafilm will distribute.
- Thriller Trifecta from La Coop Video by director Stefan Milijevic, written by Milijevic and Stephane Hogue to be distributed by Christal.
- Un Ete Sans Point Ni Coup Sur, the story of an obsessive young fan during the first years of the now-defunct Montreal Expos baseball club. Francis Leclerc directs a screenplay by Marc Robitaille for producer Barbara Shrier of Palomar. Alliance Atlantis Vivafilm is distributing.
The production investments comes through the Canada Feature Film Fund.