Brazilian films were seen by 9.9 million people, representing an 11% market share - the same share as 2005 despite the fact that the viewing of domestic productions dipped by 8%. However, Fox's If I Were You, with major local soap stars playing the lead roles, sold 3.6m tickets, grossing R$28.9m ($13.5m) and taking the third spot at the 2006 general box office.
Even though the country's total attendance increased by 6% in the first semester of 2006, thanks to the blockbuster Ice Age: The Meltdown and If I Were You, the lack of high-grossing titles dragged the market down after July.
The fall in attendance in the country can also be attributed to the increase in tickets price that reached R$ 7.70 ($3.60) in 2006. Brazilian moviegoers are very price sensitive, which severely affected local films. When admissions are low, cinemas tend to drop Brazilian productions, which get substantially less promotion than Hollywood titles.
Other factors that explain why admissions are down include the rise in DVD sales and piracy.
TOP 10 FILMS IN BRAZIL 2006
1) Ice Age: The Meltdown (Fox), 5.8m admissions
2) Da Vinci Code (Sony), 4.6m admissions
3) If I Were You (Fox), 3.6m admissions
4) X-Men - The Last Stand (Fox), 3.2m admissions
5) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Buena Vista), 3.1m admissions
6) Cars (Buena Vista), 2.8m admissions
7) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe (Buena Vista), 2.7 admissions
8) Superman Returns (Warner), 2.5m admissions
9) Over the Hedge (UIP), 2.276m admissions
10) Click (Sony), 2.271m admissions
[Source: Filme B]