Shorts competition got 4,500 entries; Cinefondation had 1,700 entries from 320 film schools.
Ahead of Thursday’s main selection announcement, Cannes has unveield the short film competition titles and the Cinefondation selection.
Jean-Pierre Dardenne will serve as president of the Cinefondation and Short Films Jury.
For the Short Film Palme d’Or competition, 10 films have been selected from the 4,500 submissions. The selection includes the first shorts selected from Syria and Puerto Rico, as well as a film by rapper Hame from French group La Rumeur.
Cannes 2012 Short Film Competition
- Mi Santa Mirada, dir. Alvaro Aponte-Centeno (Puerto Rico)
- Gasp (Souffle), Eicke Bettinga (Germany)
- Ce Chemin Devant Moi, dir Mohamed Bourokba (aka Hame) (France)
- Waiting For P.O. Box (Falastein, Sandouk Al Intezar Lil Burtuqal), Bassam Chekhes (Syria)
- The Chair, dir. Grainger David (US)
- Night Shift, dir Zia Mandivwalla (New Zealand)
- Chef De Meute, dir. Chloe Robichaud (Canada)
- Yardbird, dir. Michael Spiccia (Australia)
- Cockaigne, dir. Emilie Verhamme (Belgium)
- Silent (Sessiz-Be Deng), dir L Rezan Yesilbas (Turkey)
The Cinefondation Selection, chosen from 1,700 submissions from 320 film schools, includes its first Lebanese selection in its 15 picks.
The Cinéfondation Selection
- Behind Me Olive Trees (Derriere Moi Les Oliviers), dir. Pascale Abou Jamra (ALBA, Lebanon)
- The Barber (Riyoushi), dir. Shoichi Akino (Tokyo University of The Arts, Japan)
- The Raptures (Les Ravissements), dir. Arthur Cahn (La Femis, France)
- Slug Invasion, dir. Morten Helgeland (The Animation Workshop, Denmark) [pictured]
- Tambylles, dir. Michal Hogenauer (FAMU, Czech Republic)
- Matteus, dir. Leni Huyghe (Sint-Lukas Brussels, Belgium)
- The Camp in Razoare, dir. Cristi Iftime (UNATC, Romania)
- The Road To (Doroga Na), dir. Taisia Igumentseva (VGIK, Russia)
- Land (Terra), dir. Piero Messina (CSC, Italy)
- The Hosts (Los Anfitriones), dir. MIguel Angel Moulet (EICTV, Cuba)
- The Ballad of Finn + Yeti, dir. Meryl O’Connor (UCLA, US)
- Head Over Heels, dir. Timothy Reckart (NFTS, UK)
- Abigail, dir. Matthew James Reilly (NYU, US)
- Dog Leash (Resen), dir. Eti Tsicko (TAU, Israel)
- Could See A Puma (Pude Ver Un Puma), dir. Eduardo Williams (UCINE, Argentina)