Local film market share in Seoul - traditionally lower than nationwide - was also at a low of 41.2%.
Cinemas saw 72 million admissions, 10.8% down from the same period last year, but nevertheless higher than in other recent years.
Last year's first-half spike was attributed to huge hits such as record-breaker King And The Clown (1.1 million admissions), gangster comedy franchise My Boss, My Teacher (6.1 million) and MI:3 (5.7 million). In comparison, the first half of 2007 has had 200 Pounds Beauty (6.2 million), Spiderman 3 (4.9 million) and Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (4.9 million).
US studio films had a strong showing in the first half of this year, with Spiderman 3, Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End, Night At The Museum, Shrek 3 and 300 taking in 27.9% of total admissions.
Only two local films took in more than 3 million admissions - Voice Of A Murderer with 3.2 million and the period's top hit, comedy 200 Pounds Beauty. The latter opened in December 2006 and clocked up 6.2 million admissions, putting it at number eight in the all-time rankings. It's the only film to take in more than 5 million admissions so far this year.
South Korea Top Ten (Jan-June 2007)
(Title - Nationality - Distributor - Admissions)
1. 200 Pounds Beauty (Korea) Showbox - 6,265,687
2. Spiderman 3 (US) Sony/BVI Korea - 4,940,000
3. Pirates Of The Caribbean : At World's End (US) Sony/BVI Korea - 4,917,084
4. Night At The Museum (US) 20th Century Fox - 4,603,930
5. Voice Of A Murderer (Korea) CJ Entertainment - 3,246,060
6. 300 (US) Warner Brothers - 3,246,060
7. Miracle On 1st Street (Korea) CJ Entertainment - 2,743,467
8. Shrek 3 (US) CJ Entertainment - 2,635,985
9. Paradise Murdered (Korea) MK Pictures - 2,261,266
10. A Day For An Affair (Korea) Cinema Service - 1,847,643