The Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) has announced the nominations for its annual AACTA International Awards, which are this year led by The Banshees Of Inisherin and Everything Everywhere All At Once with six nods apiece.
Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis also secured multiple nominations, with nods in four categories. The awards are a companion to the Australian-focused AACTAs, which took place earlier this month.
A total of 15 feature films will compete across seven film categories, with the best film award a race between The Banshees Of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Elvis, Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way Of Water.
Scroll down for full list of nominees
Australian film Elvis is also nominated for best direction for Luhrmann, lead actor for Austin Butler and best supporting actress for Olivia DeJonge, for her performance as Priscilla Presley.
Actors Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris have been nominated for their performances in Australian thriller The Stranger, with Australians Cate Blanchett, Margot Robbie and Hugh Jackman nominated for their lead performances in Tár, Babylon and The Son respectively.
Damien Chazelle’s Babylon received two further nominations, for Brad Pitt in the best supporting actor category and for actress Jean Smart who is acknowledged for her work in both film and television, securing a nod for best supporting actress for her performance in Babylon, and best actress in a series for Hacks.
In the TV categories, Australian productions Heartbreak High and Mystery Road: Origin are both up for best drama series, up against Severance, Stranger Things and The Bear.
The White Lotus: Sicily is up for best comedy series, after the first season won in the category at the AACTA’s last year, and will go up against Wednesday, Only Murders In The Building, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Hacks.
The 12th AACTA International Awards will be presented virtually on February 23 Los Angeles tiem and February 24 in Australia.
AACTA International Awards 2023
- Avatar: The Way of Water
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Top Gun: Maverick
Best Lead Actor
- Austin Butler, Elvis
- Joel Edgerton, The Stranger
- Colin Farrell, The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Brendan Fraser, The Whale
- Hugh Jackman, The Son
Best Lead Actress
- Cate Blanchett, Tár
- Ana de Armas, Blonde
- Margot Robbie, Babylon
- Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
- Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Supporting Actor
- Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Woody Harrelson, Triangle Of Sadness
- Sean Harris, The Stranger
- Brad Pitt, Babylon
- Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Supporting Actress
- Kerry Condon, The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Olivia DeJonge, Elvis
- Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Jean Smart, Babylon
- James Cameron, Avatar: The Way Of Water
- Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Baz Luhrmann, Elvis
- Martin McDonagh, The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
- Todd Field, Tár
- Rian Johnson, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
- Martin Mcdonagh, The Banshees Of Inisherin
- Ruben Östlund, Triangle Of Sadness
- Dana Stevens, Maria Bello, The Woman King
Best Drama Series
- Heartbreak High
- Mystery Road: Origin
- Stranger Things
- The Bear
Best Comedy Series
- Only Murders in The Building
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- The White Lotus: Sicily
Best Actor in a Series
- Jeremy Allen White, The Bear
- Jason Bateman, Ozark
- Mark Coles Smith, Mystery Road: Origin
- Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
- Thomas Weatherall, Heartbreak High
Best Actress in a Series
- Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus: Sicily
- Elizabeth Debecki, The Crown
- Laura Linney, Ozark
- Jean Smart, Hacks
- Zendaya, Euphoria
Australian box office poised to fall 20-25% in 2022 compared to pre-pandemic 2019
No comments yet