Plus… Broad Green Pictures strikes first-look deal with Storyscape Entertainment; Fathom Events plots one-day theatrical release for The Pastor.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 star Josh Hutcherson has teamed up with Indigenous Media’s Jon Avnet, Rodrigo Garcia and Jake Avnet on an incubator powered by The Black List to produce and distribute multi-platform content worldwide.
Hutcherson will collaborate through his Turkeyfoot Productions to discover alongside Michelle Hutcherson up to five screenplays that feature core characters in their late teens to late-20s.
Indigenous Media has committed $100,000 to fund shorts based on the selected screenplays – one of which Hutcherson will direct – and may potentially fund and produce feature-length version based on the shorts.Ingenious plans to launch four incubators.
- Broad Green Pictures has signed a first-look deal with Bob Cooper and Richard Saperstein’s new production company Storyscape Entertainment. The deal includes physical and financial production resources. Cooper served as president of production at DreamWorks Pictures and president of TriStar Pictures and HBO Films, while Saperstein ran or co-ran New Line, Artisan Pictures and Dimension Films.
- Betsy Steinberg has joined Kartemquin Films as executive director and begins in her post on December 1. She most recently served as managing director of the Illinois Film Office from 2007-2015.
- The Cinema Italian Style showcase wrapped in Los Angeles on Monday with the US premiere of Nanni Moretti’s My Mother. The 11th edition co-presented by the American Cinematheque and Luce Cinecittà ran from November 12-16 and opened with Claudio Caligari’s Italian foreign-language Oscar submission Don’t Be Bad.
- WolfGang Cinema in partnership with Fathom Events has set a one-night theatrical release of gang thriller The Pastor for January 25, 2016. Arturo Muyshondt, Franky G, Micah Hauptman, Angelic Zambrana, Victoria Cartagena and Pastor Carlos Ortiz star. Deborah Goodwin directs.