The $ 0.7m Argentinian festival will open with veteran Sidney Lumet's new thriller Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and will close with Bille August's Goodbye Bafana, both to be shown out of competition.
Among the international guests expected to attend are David Cronenberg and Viggo Mortensen with Eastern Promises, Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami, French film-maker and producer Luc Besson, and actress Geraldine Chaplin, who will serve as jury president.
San Luis Film Festival is the fourth major film event in Argentina after Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires and Pantalla Pinamar.
The artistic director of the festival is Julio Marbiz, who ran the National Film Institute from 1995 until 1999. 'During these years of activity I accomplished the recovery of the Mar del Plata Film Festival, an 'A' class festival, which had been suspended for 26 years,' he says.
San Luis, a small and prosperous province located 800 km far from Buenos Aires, is called the Hollywood of Argentina. The local government launched seven years ago incentives to attract local and overseas productions.
San Luis Cine, the province's film council, has invest $40m into more than 50 local and international productions. It also opened a $2.2m film studio, one of the biggest in Argentina.
'The festival main objectives are to promote co-productions to be shot in the province and let the world know the work accomplished by the Province of San Luis within the San Luis Cine Programme,' Marbiz says.
Official competition line-up
- Jasminum (Poland) Jan Jakub Kolski
- Waiting for Heaven (Turkey-Hungary) Dervis Zaim
- Verfolgt/Hounded (Germany) Angelina Maccarone
- Lora (Hungary) Gabor Herendi
- A Via Lactea/The Milky Way (Brazil) Lina Chamie
- Takva - A Man's Fear of God (Turkey, Germany) Özer Kiziltan
- Meduzot/Jellyfish (Israel) Shira Geffen and Etgar Keret
- Men at Work (Iran) Mani Haghighi
- The Little Book of Revenge (Canada)Jean-François Pouliot
- Unni (India, France) Murali Nair
- Eastern Promises (UK, Canada, US) David Cronenberg
- Malos Habitos/Bad Habits (Mexico) Simon Bross
- Maldeamores/Lovesickness (Puerto Rico, US) Carlos Ruiz Ruiz.
- Spider Lilies (Taiwan) Zero Chou
- Angel-A (France) Luc Besson
- Exiled (Hong Kong) Johnnie To
- El Bano del Papa/The Pope's Toilet (Uruguay) Cesar Charlone and Enrique Fernandez