UK director Prano Bailey-Bond is one of 36 emerging talents from the fields film, TV and games sectors chosen for the 2021 edition of Bafta Breakthrough.
Censor director Bailey-Bond, who was a Screen Star of Tomorrow in 2018, has been selected alongside Helen Jones, who produced the psychological horror, which was Bailey-Bond’s debut feature. They are among the 24 UK talents to make this year’s list.
Further Screen Stars of Tomorrow to make the list are ear for eye editor Mdhamiri A Nkemi (2019), Ali & Ava actor Ellora Torchia (2021) and casting director Heather Basten (2021).
From the world of TV, the Breakthrough selection includes We Are Lady Parts casting director Aisha Bywaters (Star of Tomorrow 2020), director of Damilola: The Boy Next Door, Ashley Francis-Roy, star of It’s A Sin Lydia West and Sex Education actor George Robinson.
It is the second time that the initiative will include US talent. This year’s 12-strong US cohort features Shiva Baby production designer Cheyenne Ford and The Farewell cinematographer Anna Franqueso-Solano.
Bafta Breakthrough, known previously as Breakthrough Brits, began in 2013. It expanded to the US, and, in a separate initiative, India, in 2020. This list is compiled by a jury including Afua Hirsch, Niamh Algar and Tim Renkow, alongside the jury chair Ade Rawcliffe. Netflix is a supporting partner on the scheme.
Bafta Breakthrough 2021
- Aaron Reid, cinematographer – Stephen
- Aisha Bywaters, casting director – We Are Lady Parts
- Alex Kanaris-Sotiriou, creative director/lead developer – Röki
- Ana Naomi De Sousa, director – Naseem, Fight With Grace
- Ashley Francis-Roy, director – Damilola: The Boy Next Door
- Chad Orororo, sound editor/mixer – Pele
- David Proud, director/writer – Coronation Street
- Elle Osili-Wood, presenter – Special Characters
- Ellora Torchia, actor – Ali & Ava
- Gemma Hurley, writer – Host
- George Robinson, actor – Sex Education
- Georgi Banks-Davies, director – I Hate Suzie
- Heather Basten, casting director – The Origin
- Helen Jones, producer – Censor
- Joanna Haslam, design director – Family Feud
- Jo Jackson, sound editor/mixer – Radioactive
- Kirsty Elizabeth Gillmore, production voice director – Destruction AllStars (games)
- Laure De Mey, programmer – Assemble With Care DL (games)
- Lydia West, actor – It’s A Sin
- Lyttanya Shannon, director/producer – Subnormal: A British Scandal
- Mdhamiri A Nkemi, editor – ear for eye
- PC Williams, costume designer – We Are Lady Parts
- Prano Bailey-Bond, director/writer – Censor
- Rajita Shah, producer – Love Sarah
- Anna Franqueso-Solano, cinematographer – The Farewell
- Bao Nguyen, director – Be Water
- Cheyenne Ford, production designer – Shiva Baby
- Dominique Nieves, writer/director – Our Lady Lupe
- Ember Lab: Joshua Grier, Mike Grier, Hunter Schmidt – Kena: Bridge of Spirits (games)
- Hikari, Writer/Director – 37 Seconds
- Orlando Perez Rosso, Composer – Allen V. Farrow
- Sarah Lampert, Writer – Ginny & Georgia
- Siqi Song, Animator – All In A Day’s Work
- Stephanie Economou, Composer – Jupiter’s Legacy