Four individual writers and one writing team have been chosen as winners of the 2013 Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting competition.
Each winner will receive a $35,000 prize, the first instalment of which will be handed out at an awards ceremony on Nov 7 at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.
For the first time, the event will also feature a live read of selected scenes from the Fellows’ winning scripts.
This year’s winners are:
- Frank DeJohn & David Alton Hedges (Santa Ynez, CA), Legion;
- Patty Jones (Vancouver, Canada), Joe Banks;
- Alan Roth (Suffern, NY), Jersey City Story;
- Stephanie Shannon (LA, CA), Queen Of Hearts;
- Barbara Stepansky (Burbank, CA), Sugar In My Veins.
The winners were selected from a record 7,251 scripts submitted for this year’s competition.