Frank Pavich’s Jodorowsky’s Dune won the Fantastic Fest audience award and claimed best picture prize in the Documentary Features section.
Scroll down for full list of winners
Ari Folman’s The Congress was named best picture and that film’s Robin Wright won the best actress prize in the Fantastic Features strand.
Derek Lee and Clif Prowse’s Afflicted dominated the Horror Features section, winning best picture, screenplay and directors.
In the Next Wave Spotlight competition, Matt Johnson’s The Dirties was named best picture, while Sion Sono’s Why Don’t You Play In Hell? prevailed in the Gutbuster Comedy Features’ best picture contest.
In Fantastic Fest’s inaugural genre co-production market, Fantastic Market | Mercado Fantastic, Cuban filmmaker Alejandro BruguésThe Wrong Place won Gold Prize.
The Wrong Placebeat 15 other submissions at the market, which ran from September 19-21, and will receive a production support package comprising products and services provided by Panavision, Chemistry, Assimilate and Sofia Films.
Fantastic Fest co-founder and Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League, Robert Rodriguez, Harry Knowles and Elijah Wood awarded three prizes.
Adrian Garcia Bogliano’s Mexican entry Club Panico took the Silver Prize and Mexican director Edgar Nito was awarded bronze for Tatewari. Isaac Ezban of Mexico was awarded a special mention for best presentation.
Fantastic Fest runs from September 19-26.
Full list of winners
Jodorowsky’s Dune: Frank Pavich
“Next Wave” Spotlight Competition
- Best Picture: The Dirties: Matt Johnson
- Best Director: Oren Carmi (Goldberg and Eisenberg)
- Best Screenplay: James Byrkit (Coherence)
- Best Actor: Yorick van Wageningen (The Resurrection Of A Bastard)
- Best Actress: Swantje Kohlhof (Nothing Bad Can Happen)
- Best Picture: The Congress: Ari Folman
- Best Director: David Perrault (Our Heroes Died Tonight)
- Best Screenplay: Ari Folman (The Congress)
- Best Actor: Svein André Hofsø Myhre (Detective Downs)
- Best Actress: Robin Wright (The Congress)
- Best Picture: Afflicted: Derek Lee and Clif Prowse
- Best Screenplay: Derek Lee and Clif Prowse (Afflicted)
- Best Director: Derek Lee and Clif Prowse (Afflicted)
- Best Actor: Jason David Brown (Septic Man)
- Best Actress: Julia Garner (We Are What We Are)
Gutbuster Comedy Features
- Best Picture: Why Don’t You Play In Hell: Sion Sono
- Best Director: Sion Sono (Why Don’t You Play In Hell)
- Best Screenplay: Kankurô Kudô (Maruyama The Middle Schooler)
- Best Actor: Fuku Suzuki (Kid’s Police)
- Best Actress: Qi Shu (Journey To the West: Conquering The Demon)
- Best Picture: Jodorowsky’s Dune: Frank Pavich
- Best Director: Shaul Schwarz (Narco Cultura)
Short Fuse: Horror Shorts
- Winner: Remember Me: Jean-François Asselin
- Runner-up: Perfect Drug: Toon Aerts
- Winner: “Beasts In The Real World”: Sol Friedman
- Runner-up: “My Pain Is Worse Than Your Pain”: Adam Hall
Drawn and Quartered: Animated Shorts
- Winner: “The Sad House”: Sofia Catalina Carrillo Ramírez
- Runner-up: “Kick-Heart”: Masaaki Yuasa
- Best In Show: Samurai Gunn (developed by Technopants)
- Gold: The Wrong Place (Cuba / U.S.): Alejandro Brugués (Juan of the Dead)
- Silver: Club Panico (Mexico): Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat, Here Comes the Devil)
- Bronze: Tatewari (Mexico): Edgar Nito
- Special Mention for Best Presentation: The Incident (Mexico): Isaac Ezban