Prisa, the Spanish media group, has taken full control of Tesela Producciones, one of the leading producers of Spanish language films.

Prisa already owned an 80% stake in the company through its audiovisual production arm, Plural Entertainment, but it has now acquired the remaining 20%.

The two companies will work together until October to see through the release of Tesela’s films’ Gordos, directed by Daniel Sanchez Arevalo and starring Raul Arevalo, and Alberto Rodriguez’s After. Alta Films will release Gordos in Spanish cinemas on September 4 and After on October 2.

Speaking exclusively to ScreenDaily, Tesela founder Jose Antonio Felez said: “We have sold Tesela entirely to Prisa and therefore finished our production line at that company. However, as part of the deal we will assist with the post production work and marketing of Gordos and After until October.”

Prisa is a major Spanish and Portuguese language business group which owns newspapers, including Spain’s leading daily El Pais, radio stations and TV channels, including Cuatro and Digital +.

Felez is now launching a new outfit called Atipica Films, which was set up in 1995 but has been used for limited activities, and he is now seeking financing for new projects.

“I am setting up a new production line at Atipica Films. We have already been approached by the director Achero Manas to work on his new project Franny & Joe.

Franny & Joe (working title) is a drama about a father and daughter who try to improve their relationship following the death of the mother, which is scheduled to shoot in August and September this year.

As part of the move, Felez has brought across his team from Tesela to Atipica, including Eleonora Segui Polnoroff, head of press, and head of marketing Cristina Sutherland. The company has also moved to a new office.