The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific has appointed Jessica Kam-Engle as head of content & development, APAC, to oversee the delivery of local-language content across the region.
Content and development teams in each Asian market will report to Kam-Engle as well as their respective in-market leaders and will be responsible for developing, producing, and acquiring content to expand the company’s direct- to-consumer offerings.
Disney has so far rolled out its streaming services Disney+ Hotstar in Indonesia and Disney+ in Singapore.
Kam-Engle was previously at HBO Asia/WarnerMedia where she was head of original production since 2017. During that time, she oversaw the production of local-language series, including Adventure Of The Ring, Dream Raider, Workers, Invisible Stories and Food Lore, and feature film, The Garden Of Evening Mists.
Prior to HBO, Kam-Engle was an independent producer based in Beijing and Hong Kong, with credits including The Piano In A Factory and Just Another Pandora’s Box. She has also held posts with Celestial Pictures, MTV Asia, MGM Gold Network, Dow Jones Newswires and began her career as a finance intern at The Walt Disney Studios in Burbank in 1995.
Disney has made several other appointments in Asia for its Media and Entertainment Distribution segment, which includes the direct-to-consumer, studio distribution, media networks, and content distribution businesses across the region.
All roles report to Luke Kang, president, The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific with immediate effect. Kang will continue to manage mainland China directly. The new appointments include:
- Kylie Watson-Wheeler remains managing director, The Walt Disney Company Australia/New Zealand and will also take on expanded responsibility as head of ESPN & National Geographic, APAC.
- Carol Choi remains managing director and representative director, The Walt Disney Company Japan and will also take on expanded responsibility as head of franchise marketing, APAC.
- David Shin expands his remit as general manager, The Walt Disney Company in Taiwan/Hong Kong and Southeast Asia (excluding Indonesia) with dual responsibility as head of media networks, APAC.
- Tom Oh is newly appointed as general manager and representative director, The Walt Disney Company Korea.
- Vineet Puri is newly appointed as general manager, The Walt Disney Company Indonesia.
- Jay Trinidad expands his remit as general manager, Direct-to-Consumer, APAC.
- John Hsu expands his remit as general manager, Studio Distribution, APAC and will continue to have direct responsibility for the business in mainland China.
- Angela Wang expands her remit as general manager, Content Sales, APAC and will continue to have direct responsibility for the business in mainland China.
- Amit Malhotra will take on a new role as the head of Commercial Development, APAC, advising on key commercial deals across the region.