Frédéric Dumont’s film Angel At Sea was named best feature film at the 44th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival, giving the director the Crystal Globe and $30,000.
A co-production between Dragons Films of Belgium and Palomar of Canada, the film is moving tale of a boy with a manic-depressive father.
Andreas Dresen was named best director for his work on Whisky With Vodka. The film depicts an aging actor forced to contend with a new understudy. Dresen told the audience: “We didn’t expect anything because we came with a comedy — from Germany. We have to thank the jury for their special kind of humor.”
Whisky With Vodkais produced by Senator Film Produktion with Rommel Film. The Match Factory is handling international sales.
Paprika Steen was named best actress for her role in Martin Zandvliet’s Applause. She plays an actress struggling with alcoholism and seeking to regain custody of her children. The jury awarded best actor to both Olivier Gourmet for his performance in Angel at Sea and to Paul Giamatti for Cold Souls. The jury also gave a special mention to Filip Gabacz for his debut role in Piggies.
Iranian film Twenty received the Special Jury Award. Accepting the prize, director Abdolreza Kahani paid tribute to pro-democracy activists in Iran and elicited a standing ovation in their honour.
Meanwhile, actor John Malkovich accepted a Crystal Globe for Outstanding Artistic Contribution to World Cinema, while Antonio Banderas received the Festival President’s Award.
The 44th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival sold more than 62,000 tickets to just over 9,000 accredited participants. The festival will hold it 45th edition July 2–10, 2010.
Selected awards — 44th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival
- Grand Prix: Angel At Sea, dir. Frédéric Dumont (Belgium-Canada)
- Special Jury Prize: Twenty, dir. Abdolreza Kahani (Iran)
- Best Director: Andreas Dresen, for Whisky With Vodka(Germany)
- Best Actor (ex aequo): Olivier Gourmet, for Angel at Sea, and Paul Giamatti, for Cold Souls(US)
- Best Actress: Paprika Steen, for Applause(Denmark)
- Special Mention: Filip Garbacz, actor, Piggies(Poland, Germany)
- Audience Award: A Matter Of Size (Israel, Germany, France)
- East of the West Award: Room And A Half, dir. Andrey Khrzhanovsky (Russia)
- Independent Camera: Eamon, dir. Margaret Corkery (Ireland)
- Best Documentary: Osadne, dir. Marko Skop (Slovakia, Czech Republic)
- FIPRESCI Award: Will Not Stop There, dir. Vinko Bresan (Croatia, Serbia)