In 2005, market share reached an all-time high of 32%, with 3.9m tickets sold for local films out of a total 12.2m attendance. This year's figures represent a drop in local movie sales from one in three to one in four ticket sales. However, a 26% market share is equivalent to the average sell of Danish tickets since 1999.
Five local films appear in Denmark's top 20 films for 2006. The average for the last nine years has been six films plus. Prospects are good for next year, with more than 30 Danish features scheduled for release, including several sequels to popular family features, a comedy by Lone Scherfig, who made megahit Italian For Beginners, films by Ole Bornedal and Paprika Steen, and Nikolaj Arcels' Spielberg-inspired family fantasy Island of Lost Souls.
TOP 10 FILMS DENMARK 2006
1. Casino Royale (Nordisk), 60.5m
2. Da Vinci Code (Nordisk), 55.9m
3. Pirates Of The Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest (UIP/BVI), 51.1m
4. Ice Age: The Meltdown (FC/Fox), 38.1m
5. After The Wedding (Nordisk, Denmark) 25.9m
6. We Shall Overcome (Nordisk, Denmark) 22.4m
7. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (UIP/BVI), 21.2m
8. Little Chicken (UIP), 17.7m
9. Cars (UIP/BVI), 16.6m
10. Clash Of Egos (Nordisk, Denmark), 14.7m