Volkswagen is scrapping its seven year sponsorship of the Berlinale, ahead of the festival’s 60th anniversary next year.

It is understood that move will leave the festival with a $1.33m (Euros 1m) to $1.99m (Euros 1.5m) gap in its sponsorship funding. The car manufacturer provided a fleet of over 80 vehicles to transport guests to the gala premieres.

The festival confirmed the end of the relationship to local Berlin newspaper Morgenpost and described it as “regrettable”.

VW was also involved with six editions of the Berlinale Talent Campus working on the Volkswagen Score Competition for young filmmakers and sound designers, and also provided cars for the young actors in the European Film Promotion’s Shooting Stars initiative.

VW’s logo has already been removed from the list of sponsors displayed on the Berlinale’s website. Its other partners include public broadcaster ZDF and beauty brand, L’Oreal.

The Berlinale raises 40% of its $22.6m (Euros 17m) budget from contributions, including federal funding through the Berliner Festspiele, with the remaining 60% coming from sponsorship, ticket sales, accreditation fees, advertising revenue and market stand fees at the European Film Market.