EXCLUSIVE: 40 Canadian and international producer teams selected for OMDC’s eighth annual Toronto co-financing market.
New films by Donald Petrie, Timo Vuorensola, Baltasar Kormakur [pictured], Nick Broomfield, Gillies Mackinnon are some of the 40 selections for the eighth OMDC’s International Financing Forum. (Full list below)
The Ontario Media Development Corporation’s feature film co-financing market will be held Sept 8-9, running concurrently to TIFF.
The two-day event includes one-on-one producer meetings, a top-level panel discussion, roundtable meetings, a networking luncheon, and a networking reception.
The initiative focuses on English language feature film projects being developed by international and Canadian producers, who meet with executives including sales agents, financiers, distributors, agents and executive producers – from companies including Beta Cinema, Big Beach, Cinetic, eOne, Film4, Film Nation, TF1, Wild Bunch and William Morris Endeavor.
The Canadian-produced projects selected this year include Nick Broomfield’s fiction feature film debut The Catastrophist to star Freida Pinto and John C Reilly and to be produced by Vancouver-based Trish Dolman and Christine Haebler; 2 Guns director Baltasar Kormakur’s murder mystery The Bird Artist to be produced by Ontario-based Frank Siracusa and written by Deadwood’s Malcolm McRury; Hideous Kinky director Gillies MacKinnon’s India-set coming of age film Quiver; and comedy Atlantic Gold to be produced by Barbara Doran (The Grand Seduction) and directed by Donald Petrie (Miss Congeniality).
The International selections include the Iron Sky team’s new horror zombie script Deadrise; historical drama Orestes to star Freddie Highmore and Alan Cumming and to be produced by Pierre Sengler and Laurence Lamers of The Netherlands; Sam Neill-starring noir thriller Mystery Ride from Scottish producer Grant Kier, Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s English-language debut The President from UK producers Mike Downey and Sam Taylor of F&ME; and Winter in Wartime director Martin Koolhoven’s thriller Western Brimstone with Dutch producer Els Vandevorst.
Also notable this year is the inclusion of three Middle Eastern-themed films, Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s The President, Asghar Massombagi’s Edge of The World, and Dror Shaul’s Atomic Love.
The IFF is supported by Telefilm Canada, UK Trade and Investment (UKTI), The Toronto Film and Television Office (TFTO), and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).
Films previously supported by IFF include Denis Villeneuve’s Incendies, David Michod’s Animal Kingdom, Ralph Fiennes’ Coriolanus and Haifaa Al-Mansour’s Wadjda.
The Canadian projects selected for 2013 are:
- The Bird Artist, prod Frank Siracusa, dir Baltasar Kormakur, wr Malcolm MacRury
- The Catastrophist, prods Trish Dolman/Christine Haebler, wr/dir Nick Broomfield
- Atlantic Gold, prod Barbara Doran, dir Donald Petrie, wr John Hazlett
- Eastland Major, prod Serge Noel, wr/dir David Birnbaum
- Edge of the World, prod Paul Scherzer, wr/dir Asghar Massombagi
- Frank, prods Nicholas Tabarrok/Leah Jaunzems, wr Patrick Tarr
- Ghost Rocker, prods April Mullen/Tim Doiron, dir April Mullen, wr Tim Doiron
- Honesty and Cruelty, prods Paul Zimic/Jim Mauro, dir Alexandre Franchi, wr Katherine Collins
- The Jane Austen Marriage Manual, prods David Cormican/Don Carmody, wr Kim Izzo
- Killing The Shaman, prod Jeremy Torrie, wr/dir Jeremy Torrie
- The Mating Habit of Widows, prod Karen Shaw, wr Gerald Olson
- Quiver, prod Mehernez Lentin, dir Gilles Mackinnon, wr Anjali Raghbeer
- Torchbearer, prod Paul Barkin, dir Charles Officer, wr David Bradley Halls
- Vinland, prods Mark Antony Krupa/Susan Schneir, wr Mark Krupa
- Wounded, prod Michael Dobbin/Andrew Rendall, wr/dir Maxwell McGuire
The other Canadian participants are:
- 419, prods Pierre Sarrazin/Vivian Lin, wr Suzette Couture
- Little Red Turnbuckle, prod Mark Montefiore, wr Amy Cameron
- Looking For Patrick, prod Rechna Varma, wr John Ainslie
- Stray, prods Michael Suan/Floyd Kane, wr/dir Michael Suan
- The Patron, prod/wr/dir Jeff Kopas
- Watching Bobby Fischer, prod/wr Svet Doytchinov
The international participants for 2013 are:
- 18% Gray (Bulgaria), prod Borislav Chouchov, dir Viktor Chuchkov Jr, wr Zachary Karabashliev
- Atomic Love (Israel), prods Chilik Michaeli/Avraham Pirchi, wr/dir Dror Shaul
- Brimstone (Netherlands) prod Els Vandevorst, wr/dir Martin Koolhoven
- Deadrise (Finland), prods Tero Kaukomaa/Timo Vuorensola, wr/dir Timo Vuorensola
- Doubtful Sound (New Zealand), prod Fiona Copland, wr/dir Harry Sinclair
- Forsaken (South Africa), prods Michael Auret/Heather Millard, wr/dir Mans Marland, Bjorn Stein
- I am Here (India), prods Sudhanshu Saria/Vikram Motwane, wr/dir Sudhanshu Saria
- The Incident (US), prods Mona Panchal/Priya Swaminathan, wr/dir Jan Kwiecinski
- Lost in America (France), prods Michael Propper/Thomas Saignes, wr/dir Michale Boganim
- Mystery Ride (Scotland), prod Grant Keir, wr/dir Virginia Heath
- Orestes (The Netherlands), prods Pierre Spengler/Laurence Lamers, wr/dir Rudolf van den Berg
- Penumbra (UK) prod Atif Ghani/Perry Bhandal, wr/dir Perry Bhandal
- The Personal History of Rachel DuPree (Australia), prods Brian Rosen/Su Armstrong, wr/dir Claire McCarthy
- The President (UK), prods Mike Downey/Sam Taylor, wr/dir Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- Tokyo Trial (The Netherlands), prods Hans deWeers/Toru Takagi dir Pieter Verhoeff, wrs Kees van Beijnum, Max Mannix
More international participants
- You Keep The Cat (Luxembourg) prod David Grumbach, wr/dir Simon Brook
- Sebastian Wants to Remember (Germany) prod Michael Henrichs, wr/dir Vasant Nath
- The First Cypriot Astronaut (UK) prod Raimond Berens, wr/dir Satvros Pamballis
- Em (Australia), prod/wr Matthew Dabner, dir Kate Riedl