Cannes and Berlin winners among titles.
The Pearls strand of the 64th San Sebastian Film Festival (Sept 16-24) has been unveiled and comprises some of the top titles shown at festivals this year.
Animations include Claude Barras’ My Life as a Courgette, chosen as Switzerland’s submission for the Oscars, and Michael Dudok de Wit’s The Red Turtle, which won the Un Certain Regard special prize at Cannes and marks the first co-production between Europe and iconic Japanese animation house Studio Ghibli.
- Elle, Paul Verhoeven (Fra)
- Florence Foster Jenkins, Stephen Frears (UK)
- Frantz, François Ozon (Fra)
- Fire At Sea, Gianfranco Rosi (Ita-Fra)
- I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach (UK-Fra)
- The Red Turtle, Michael Dudok De Wit (Fra-Bel)
- Things To Come, Mia Hansen-Løve (Fra)
- After Love, Joachim Lafosse (Fra-Bel)
- Little Men, Ira Sachs (US)
- My Life As A Courgette, Claude Barras (Swi-Fra)
- On The Milky Road, Emir Kusturica (UK-Serb)
- Neruda, Pablo Larraín (Chile-Fra-Arg-Spa)
- Sieranevada, Cristi Puiu (Rom)
- Toni Erdmann, Maren Ade (Ger-Aust)
- After The Storm, Hirokazu Koreeda (Jap)