The theme of culturalexploration is writ large over this year's second Tribeca Film Festival, whichfeatures 11 world premieres and three competition strands in its second editionrunning May 3-11.
Announcing the line-up today(Mar 25), founders Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal and executive directorPeter Scarlet said the feature-length competitive sections included 41 picturesincluding four world premieres and 22 North American premieres.
The dramatic competitionsection consists of:
- Ballroom (Dancing) (France) Patrick Mario Bernard, Pierre Trividic& Xavier Brillat, directors
- Blind Shaft (China) Li Yang
- Bomb The System (US) Adam Bhala Lough
- The Bookstore (Tunisia) Nawfel Sahed-Ettaba
- Chicken Poets (China) Jinghui Meng
- It Is Easier For A Camel (France) Valeria Bruni Tedeschi
- Jealousy Is My Middle Name (Korea) Chan-ok Park
- Justice(US) Evan Oppenheimer
- Levelland(US) Clark Walker
- Margarette's Feast (Brazil/US) Renato Falc'o
- Nilofar In The Rain (Afghanistan/France) Homayoun Karimpour
- Open My Heart (Italy) Giada Colagrande
- Paris(US) Ramin Niami
- Some Secrets (Czech Republic) Alice Nellis
- Squint Your Eyes (Poland) AndrzejJakimowski
- Yossi & Jagger (Israel) EytanFox
Among the documentaries areRory Kennedy's A Boy's Life, NickBroomfield and Joan Churchill's Aileen: Life And Death Of A Serial Killer and Michael Almereyda's This So-Called Disaster featuring Sean Penn, Sam Shepard, Nick Nolte andWoody Harrelson.
The three competitivestrands are Features and Documentary Features - for first and second-timefilm-makers - and Documentaries, for directors of more than two pictures.
Award categories to bepresented in the three competition sections include - Best Narrative, BestDocumentary Feature, Best Documentary, Best Actress, Best Actor, EmergingNarrative Feature Film-maker and Emerging Documentary Feature Film-maker.
Additional Festival awardsinclude the Audience Award (for which every feature film in the festival iseligible), Best Narrative Short, Best Documentary Short and the StudentVisionary Award.
"We are eager to againpresent such a world-class line-up of feature films in competition to sharewith New Yorkers and visitors from around the globe," Rosenthal said in astatement. "This year's selections are created by extraordinary film-makers whohave proven their talents on a variety of levels."
Screenings will take placeat locations throughout New York's Tribeca district, when festival-goers willalso get a chance to attend panel discussions film-maker workshops and otherevents. The juries for each section will be announced in due course.