A major fire broke out in the London offices housing leading film financiers Future Films and Aramid Capital earlier today.

The fire, which started at lunch time, took around 60 firefighters to bring it under control. It started in the top floor of in Aramid’s offices, on Soho’s Dean Street, and it is thought to have been started by a faulty air conditioner. No one has been injured.

“Luckily, nobody has been hurt and everyone in the building was evacuated safely,” said Stephen Margolis, Managing Director of Future Films . “We would like to thank the Fire Brigade for their swift response to the situation. Despite today’s events, we are open for business as usual and will be announcing our new temporary location in the next couple of days once we’ve assessed the damage.”

The fire is bound to cause disruption to several film outfits. Dean Street is in the heart of London’s Soho - the traditional home of many film companies - and De Lane Lea, one of London’s leading post-production labs, is just a few doors down.

Other film companies located nearby include Goldcrest Films International, at 65-66 Dean Street and Metrodome Distribution at 72 to 74 Dean Street.

“We don’t know yet what damage has been done to our building because we have not been able to get back in,” commented Sara Frain, General Manager - Theatrical of Metrodome Distribution. “We expect there is probably smoke and water damage in our building.”

The Metrodome staff evacuated their office at around 2.30pm. “The police and the fire engines told everybody to move back. We moved into the Old Compton Street area and stood like everybody else did and watched,” said Frain.

It will take until tomorrow, when staff are expected to be allowed back into their Dean Street offices, to ascertain just what damage has been done.