European Film Promotion (EFP) has revealed the 10 young actors it has selected for the 2018 edition of European Shooting Stars, which highlights up-and-coming talent from the region.
The list includes British award-winning actress, playwright, screenwriter and poet Michaela Coel. She is best known for her BAFTA-winning hit-series Chewing Gum, and was named a Screen Star Of Tomorrow this year.
Other actors on the list include Eili Harboe, who stars in the Norwegian festival hit Thelma, and Italian actress Matilda De Angelis, nominated for two David di Donatello awards for Italian Race.
The actors will be presented to the film industry, public and international press at next year’s Berlin International Film Festival (Feb 15 - 25, 2018).
This year’s Shooting Stars jury included former Shooting Star Eduardo Noriega from Spain, director Mijke de Jong from The Netherlands, casting director and ICDN member Nicole Schmied from Austria, Croatian producer Ankica Juric Tilic and Norwegian film critic and Arts Editor Mode Steinkjer.
The full line up:
- Belgium (Flanders): Matteo Simoni (Gangsta)
- Georgia: Irakli Kvirikadze (Hostages)
- Germany: Franz Rogowski (Fikkefuchs)
- Hungary: Réka Tenki (Budapest Noir)
- Italy: Matilda De Angelis (Italian race)
- The Netherlands: Jonas Smulders (Brothers)
- Norway: Eili Harboe (Thelma)
- Sweden: Alba August (Becoming Astrid)
- Switzerland: Luna Wedler (Blue my mind)
- UK: Michaela Coel (Been so long)