Fredrik Bond’s The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman among the 11 films competing for the Golden Duke award at the 4th OIFF.
The Odessa International Film Festival (July 12-20) has unveiled the features nominated for the International Competition Grand Prix – The Golden Duke.
Directors of the 11 films are from the US, UK, Israel, Georgia, Italy, Poland, Germany, Romania, France, India, Russia and Ukraine.
The films include Fredrik Bond’s The Necessary Death Of Charlie Countryman, a thriller starring Shia LaBeouf and Evan Rachel Wood that premiered at Sundance and played in competition at Berlin.
Others include Ritesh Batra’s Cannes Critics’ Week winner The Lunchbox and Jan Ole Gerster’s Oh Boy, the German box office hit that has racked up prizes in Germany, Sofia and Tallinn among others.
The international jury that will choose Best Film, Best Director and Best Actor will include German actress Franziska Petri, British producer Tanya Seghatchian (Harry Potter), actress-director Nan Jorjadze and Ukrainian writer Andrey Kurkov. Head of the international competition jury is Ukrainian film producer Alexander Rodnyansky.
dir Adrian Sitaru, Romania
dir Dror Sabo, Israel
- The Future
dir Alicia Scherson, Chile, Germany, Italy, Spain
- The Geographer Drank His Globe Away
dir Alexander Veledinsky, Russia
- In Bloom
dirs Nana Ekvtimishvili, Simon Groß, Georgia, Germany, France
- The Liability
dir Craig Viveiros, UK
- The Lunchbox
dir Ritesh Batra, India, France, Germany
- The Necessary Death Of Charlie Countryman
dir Fredrik Bond, US
- Oh Boy
dir Jan Ole Gerster, Germany
co-dirs Serge Avedikian, Olena Fetisova, Ukraine, France, Armenia, Georgia
- Traffic Department
dir Wojtek Smarzowski, Poland
Ukrainian National Film Award
Four features, including biopic Parajanov, and 12 short films are nominated for the Ukrainian National Film Award.
The Jury of the Ukrainian National Film Award consists of UK director Mark Cousins; the French co-founder of Clermont-Ferrand’s short film festival Georges Bollon; Georgian producer Tamara Tatishvili and Ukrainian film score composer Vadim Khrapachyov.
Nominees in the feature section are:
- Credenza dir Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Delirium dir Ihor Podolchak
- I Don’t Wanna Die dir Alisa Pavlovskaya
- Paradjanov co-dirs Serge Avedikian, Olena Fetisova
Nominees in the shorts film section are:
- A Date dir Yevhen Matviyenko
- Cinema Ukraine dir Maksym Madonov
- Commemoration dir Iryna Tsilyk
- Helen dir Lesya Kalynska
- Hug dir Philip Sotnychenko
- Nuclear Waste dir Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy
- Nympho dir Oleg Borshchevsky
- Scrap Metal dir Dmytro Glukhenky
- Sirs And Misters dir Olexandr Techynsky
- The First Step In The Clouds dir Alina Gorlova
- The Way dir Maxim Ksjonda
- Ukrainian Lessons dir Ruslan Batytsky