The line-up for the 10th edition of Series Mania, which runs March 22-30 in Lille, has been revealed.
The competition features the world premieres of three Channel 4 dramas, including the Warp Films-produced The Virtues, which is written and directed by Shane Meadows and starring Stephen Graham as a troubled man who returns to Ireland to confront his childhood in the care system. Jack Thorne co-wrote the project.
The other C4 series are Iraq-set crime thriller Baghdad Central, from House Of Sadam creator Stephen Butchard, and Chimerica, created by Lucy Kirkwood (Skins), about an American photographer re-tracing the subject of the iconic image of a Tian’amen Square protestor. It stars Alessandro Nivola, Sophie Okonedo and Cherry Jones.
Other highlights in the competition include Isreali drama Just For Today, created by Ram Nehari and Nia Bergman, who also wrote and directed the series. Bergman directed 2002 feature Broken Wings, which won awards at Berlin and Jerusalem, and co-created hit show In Therapy.
Competition titles with Netflix involvement include YA supernatural drama Chambers starring Uma Thurman, and French comedy-drama Mytho, which will be broadcast on Netflix outside of France and Germany and is having its world premiere.
Netflix’s Osmosis created by Audrey Fouché (a writer on The Returned) is in the French competition.
HBO has two high profile projects in the international competition: Eric Khoo’s horror anthonoloy Folklore and HBO Europe’s Success, directed by Danis Tanovic (No Man’s Land).
Thurman, Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker, jury president Marti Noxon and The Good Doctor star Freddie Highmore will deliver masterclasses.
The full line-up is below.
Series Mania 2019 Official Competition
- Baghdad Central (Stephen Butchard, UK)
- Chambers (Leah Rachel, US)
- Chimerica (Lucy Kirkwood, UK)
- Eden (Edward Berger, Nele Mueller Stöfen, Marianne Wendt, Fr, Ger)
- Identification (Valery Fedorovich, Evgeny Nikishov, Rus)
- Just For Today (Nir Bergman, Ram Nehari, Isr)
- Lambs of God (Sarah Lambert, Aust)
- Mytho (Anne Berest, Fr)
- Twin (Kristoffer Metcalfe, Nor)
- The Virtues (Shane Meadows, UK)
- The Last Wave (Raphaëlle Roudaut, Alexis Le Sec)
- Super Jimmy (Camille Pouzol, Stéphane Drouet, Lionel Olenga)
- Family Shake (Baya Kasmi)
- Osmosis (Audrey Fouché)
- Soupçons (Lionel Bailliu, Yann Le Gal)
- Une Île (Gaia Guasti, Aurélien Molas)
- 8 Days (Peter Kocyla, Rafael Parente, Germany)
- Asylum City (Eitan Tzur, Uzi Weil, Liad Shoham, Israel)
- Blackout (Sergei Ursuliak, Russia)
- The Cry (Jacquelin Perske, UK & Australia)
- Curfew (Matthew Read, UK)
- Exit (Petter Testmann-Koch, Øystein Karlsen, Norway)
- Flack (Oliver Lansley, UK)
- Folklore (Eric Khoo, Singapore)
- The Guest (Seo Jae-won, Gwon So-ra, South Korea)
- Hierro (Pepe Coira, Spain & France)
- Les Misérables (Andrew Davies, UK)
- Monzón (Francisco Varone, Leandro Custo, Gabriel Nicoli, Gabriela Larralde, Jesus Braceras, Agustin Bossi, Pol Bossi, Argentina)
- MotherFatherSon (Tom Rob Smith, UK)
- Pros And Cons (Thor Bjørn, Denmark)
- Success (Marjan Alčevski, Croatia)