Venice Days 2016 line-up unveiled
Syrian war documentary set as opening film; Naomi Kawase and Crystal Moselle shorts selected.
Scroll down for line-up
Venice Film Festival’s independent strand Venice Days has unveiled the line-up for its 13th edition, which runs alongside the main festival from Aug 31-Sept 10.
There are 11 titles in competition (10 world premieres), six special event screenings and two shorts on show.
Opening the programme will be Denmark-Finland co-pro The War Show [pictured] from co-directors Andreas Dalsgaard and Obaidah Zytoon. A documentary road film chronicling the Syrian uprising and war, the film sees Zytoon sets off on a road trip around Syria, telling the Syrian story through a series of personal intimate stories.
Italian titles in the line-up include Indivisible, Edoardo de Angelis’s story of two Neapolitan Siamese twin sisters who are exploited as a novelty singing act by their father. Rome-based sales agent True Colours boarded the film earlier this year.
The shorts – dubbed the Women’s Tales project – features films from Sweet Bean (An) director Naomi Kawase (Seed) and The Wolfpack director Crystal Moselle (That One Day).
VENICE DAYS LINE-UP
- The War Show, dirs. Andreas Dalsgaard, Obadiah Zytoon (Den-Fin) opening film
- Heartstone, dir. Guomundur Arnar Guomundsson (Ice-Den)
- Hounds of Love, dir. Ben Young (Aus)
- Indivisible, dir. Edoardo De Angelis (Ita)
- Quit Staring At My Plate, Hana Jusic (Cro-Den)
- Pamilya Ordinaryo, dir. Eduardo Roy, Jr. (Phil)
- Guilty Men, dir. Ivan D. Gaona (Col)
- Polina, dirs. Valerie Muller, Angelin Preljocaj (Fra)
- Worldly Girl, dir. Marco Danieli (Ita)
- Sami Blood, dir. Amanda Kernell (Swe-Den-Nor)
- The Road To Mandalay, dir. Midi Z (Mya-Tai-Chi-Fra-Ger)
Women’s Tales (shorts)
- Seed, dir. Naomi Kawase (Ita-Jap)
- That One Day, dir. Crystal Moselle (Ita-US)
- Always Shine, dir Sophia Takal (US)
- Coffee, dir. Cristiano Bortone (Ita-Bel-Chi)
- Il Profumo Del Tempo Delle Favole, dir. Mauro Caputo (Ita)
- Rocco, dirs. Thierry Demaiziere, Alban Teurlai (Fra)
- Vangelo, dir. Pippo Delbono (Ita-Bel)
- You Never Had It – An Evening With Bukowski, dir. Matteo Borgardt (US-Mex-Ita)