Average TV viewing in the UK fell last year, according to new figures.

People in the UK watched three hours, 55 minutes, and 30 seconds of TV per day in 2013, according to the latest figures from BARB (Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board).

It marked a drop of nine minutes per day compared to 2012, when the London Olympics increased viewing and a good summer led to viewers venturing outside in greater numbers.

The television set remains the main way people view TV content at 98.5%, with the remaining 1.5% watching via tablets and PCs. This is up on the 1.2% reported in 2012.

A total of 3 minutes, 30 seconds a day are viewed via devices such as tablets, smartphones and laptops (or just over 3 half-hour TV shows a month). This is mostly on-demand but also includes some live streams, according to figures supplied by UK broadcasters to commercial TV marketing body Thinkbox.

Viewing during time of broadcast - as opposed to using catch-up services - also fell. On average, each person watched three hours, 52 minutes of linear TV on a TV set in 2013, against 4 hours and 1 minute the year before.

Barb expects this year’s football World Cup in Brazil to boost linear viewing.

Commercial TV increased its share of linear viewing from 66% to 68%.

Barb estimates that the average TV viewer watched 47 advertisements a day - four ads more per day than five years ago - an increase of 1.6% on 2012 and a growth of 10.4% over the last five years.