UK exhibitor Vue Entertainment has launched an investigation into the death of a cinema-goer at its Star City venue in Birmingham.

Vue Cinemas

Source: Vue Entertainment

According to a report in the Birmingham Mail, on March 9 a man became trapped in an electric chair after attempting to retrieve a dropped mobile phone at the end of a screening. He was eventually freed by staff and taken to the local Heartlands Hospital.

Today, a spokesperson for Vue confirmed in a statement that the customer had died:

“Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.

“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March. A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

The incident is said to have occurred in the exhibitor’s ‘Gold Class’ screen, which is advertised as a “luxury” experience that features electric, reclining seats.

Screen reached out to Vue for further comment.