Galway Film Fleadh organisers have announced the launch of a new film festival network to share strategies and information among European festivals.
The Europa Film Festivals (EFF) network will work together to develop resources, business models and best practices in the industry, giving the body an opportunity to strengthen various festivals across Europe.
The following festival executives have become inaugural EFF network members:
- Miriam Allen (Chair) - Galway Film Fleadh, Ireland
- Alexis Juncosa - Luxembourg City Film Festival, Luxembourg
- Michele Devlin - Belfast Film Festival, Northern Ireland
- Hrönn Marinósdóttir - Reykjavik International Film Festival, Iceland
- Alejandro Díaz Castaño - Gijon International Film Festival, Spain
- Fredau Buwalda - Noordelijk Film Festival, The Netherlands
- Kathrin Kohlstedde - Filmfest Hamburg, Germany
- Nektarios Sakkas - Athens International Film Festival, Greece
- Emmanuel Cuénod - Geneva International Film Festival, Switzerland
- Guilhem Caillard - Festival de Films CINEMANIA, Montreal, Canada
- Milja Mikkola - Midnight Sun Film Festival, Finland
- Johanna Caraire - Festival International du Film Indépendant de Bordeaux, France
One of its first initiatives will take place as part of July’s Galway Film Fleadh. In cooperation with Galway 2020 and the Fleadh, EFF member festivals will co-curate ‘Peripheral Visions’, a competitive programme of films with the themes ‘Language, Landscape and Migration’. The programme will be available to view online during the Galway Film Fleadh, running online from 7th-12th July, and the winning film will receive €3000 ($3403).
Miriam Allen, CEO of the Galway Film Fleadh, is chair of the network, with Luxembourg City Film Festival artistic director Alexis Juncosa the vice-chair.
Juncosa said of the launch: “We are extremely pleased to take part in this initiative, borne out of the joint desire to form an association that combines forces to benefit from the unique dynamics of all the festivals involved. We are hoping that this federation will become a solution-oriented partner for dialogue and new ideas. The goals and ambitions of this European association are now being finalized and a specific communication should be ready around The Marché du film Online and Galway Film Fleadh”.