24 films will compete for three Canon Tiger awards for short films; programme will also include tributes to British film-maker Jodie Mack and Swiss film-maker and artist HannesSchüpbach.
The International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) has unveiled the 24 films competing for the Tiger Awards Competition for Short Films.
Shorts include Yael Bartana’s Inferno [pictured] and Adan Jodorowsky’s The Voice Thief. The full programme of Tiger and Spectrum Shorts, with 217 short and mid-length films, will be screened from Jan 23-27 at LantarenVenster.
The programme also includes tributes to British film-maker Jodie Mack, with five of her works presented at the festival, and Swiss film-maker and artist Hannes Schüpbach with three of his works screened during IFFR.
Jan 23-26 will see IFFR and Gonzo (circus) magazine present Mind The Gap Nights, four evenings of unique collaborations between musicians, video artists, film-makers and other image makers.
The full list of titles competing for the three Canon Tiger awards for short films are:
- Ancha es Castilla/N’importe quoi, Sergio Caballero (Spain)
- The Backup Tapes from Moon and Mars, eteam (USA)
- The Chimera of M., Sebastian Buerkner (United Kingdom)
- Even Pricks, Ed Atkins (United Kingdom)
- Giant, Salla Tykkä (Finland, Romania)
- Grandma’s Dream, Laure Prouvost (United Kingdom)
- Hacked Circuit, Deborah Stratman (USA)
- Here Is Everything, Emily Vey Duke & Cooper Battersby (USA, Canada)
- Inferno, Yael Bartana (Netherlands)
- La isla, Dominga Sotomayor, Katarzyna Klimkiewicz (Chile, Poland)
- It Has Already Been Ended Before You Can See the End, Arikawa Shigeo (Japan)
- Letter to a Refusing Pilot, Akram Zaatari (Lebanon)
- A Million Miles Away, Jennifer Reeder (USA)
- Nefandus Trilogy, Carlos Motta (USA, Colombia, Portugal)
- Notre tempo, Lorena Zilleruelo (France)
- The Palace on the Sea, Midi Z (Taiwan, Myanmar)
- O porto, Clarissa Campolina, Julia De Simone, Luiz Pretti, Ricardo Pretti (Brazil)
- Thing, Anouk De Clercq (Belgium, Italy)
- Trento Symphonia, Flatform (France, Italy)
- Two Points of Failure, Michael Moshe Dahan (USA)
- Village modèle, Hayoun Kwon (France)
- The Voice Thief, Adan Jodorowsky (France, Chile, USA)
- Walk with Me, Johan Oettinger & Peter Tukei Muhumuza (Uganda, Denmark)
- Working to Beat the Devil, Chu-Li Shewring & Adam Gutch (United Kingdom)
IFFR runs Jan 22-Feb 2. For more information, visit the festival’s website.