The Venice Gap-Financing Market has selected the projects for its 5th edition, to be held from August 31-September 2 during the Venice film festival.
Organised as part of the Venice Production Bridge, the three-day event will present 46 projects from around the world in the final stages of development and funding.
The titles include 25 feature fiction and documentary projects; 15 virtual reality works; and six projects developed during the workshop of Biennale College Cinema.
Fiction projects include Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s To The Ends Of The Earth (working title), which shot in Uzbekistan in April and May, featuring a Japanese and Uzbek cast. Based on an original screenplay by Kurosawa, the film tells the story of a young Japanese woman who finds her cautious and inward-looking nature tested when she travels to Uzbekistan to shoot a travel variety show.
David Wnendt’s The Sunlit Night, starring Jenny Slate, Alex Sharp, Gillian Anderson and Zach Galifianakis is also being showcased. Adapted from Rebecca Dinerstein’s novel of the same name, the film is set between New York City and Norway, and follows US painter Frances (Slate) and émigré Yasha (Sharp), an unlikely pair who find each other in the Arctic circle. Mister Smith Entertainment has international rights to the project.
Documentary projects include Anna Eborn’s Transnistra, set in the self-proclaimed state of Transnistria where a group of 16-year-olds search for friendship among each other when society has turned its back on them. The project was also recently announced as a recipient of Eurimages funding.
The market arranges meetings between the creative teams on each projects and industry decision makers, including private and public financiers, distributors, sales agents, commissioners and post-production companies.
For the fiction and documentary titles to be eligible, they must have at least 70% of funding already in place.
- 5 È Il Numero Perfetto (It, Bel, Fr) - by Igort, Propaganda Italia
- Des Pas Dans La Neige (Fr) by Jean Denizot, Mezzanine Films
- Do Not Hesitate (Neth, Bel, Col) by Shariff Korver, Lemming Film
- Insula (Rom, Fr) by Anca Damian, Aparte Film
- Sans Soleil (Bel, Neth, Fr) by Banu Akseki, FraKas Productions
- Semina Il Vento (It, Fr) by Danilo Caputo, Okta Film
- And They May Still Be Alive Today (Rom, Gr) by Tudor Cristian Jurgiu, Libra Film Productions
- The Prague Orgy (Czech, Slovakia) by Irena Pavlásková, Prague Movie Company
- The Sunlit Night (Ger, Nor, US) by David Wnendt, Detail Film and Ape&Bjørn
- January (Bul, Port, Czech) by Andrey Paounov, Portokal
- All This Victory (Leb, Fr, Ger) by Ahmad Ghossein, Abbout Productions
- Blanquita (Chile, Arg) by Fernando Guzzoni, Quijote Films
- City Of Small Blessings (Sing) by Chen-Hsi Wong, Akanga Film Asia
- Deserto Particular (Braz, Port) by Aly Muritiba, Grafo Audiovisual
- La Intemperie (Arg, Braz) by Juan Schnitman, Wanka Cine
- To the Ends Of The Earth (working title) (Jap, Uz) by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Loaded Films, Tokyo Theaters Co. Inc.
- The Unknown Saint (Mor, Fr) by Alaa Eddine Aljem, Le Moindre Geste
- Angels Of Sinjar. Yazidis - 21st Century Genocide (Pol, Ger) by Hanna Polak, Hanna Polak Films, Saxonia Entertainment
- Dragon Women (Bel) by Frédérique de Montblanc, Savage Film
- Et J’aime À La Fureur (Slovakia, Fr) by André Bonzel, Artichoke
- Flee (Den, Swe, Fr, Nor) by Jonas Poher Rasmussen, Final Cut for Real, Sun Creature Studio
- Fugue (working title) (Czech, Fr, Arg, Aust) by Artemio Benki, Artcam Films
- Push (Swe) by Fredrik Gertten, WG Film
- Tony Driver, Un Deportato Al Contrario (It, Mex) by Ascanio Petrini, Dugong Films
- Transnistra (Swe, Den, Bel) by Anna Eborn, Momento Film
VIRTUAL REALITY PROJECTS
- -22.7°C VR (Fr, Bel) by Jan Kounen, Zorba Production
- A Symphony Of Noise (UK, Ger) by Jamie Balliu and Anrick Bregman, Up Creatives, Kloos & Co.
- Fatherland (UK, Sp, US) by Ben Samuels, Limbik
- Inside: A Journey Into The World Of Outsider Artist Judith Scott (UK) by Sacha Wares, National Theatre Immersive Storytelling Studio
- Jailbirds (Fr, Bel, US) by Thomas Villepoux, Digital Rise - DVgroup
- Mirror (Fr, Bel) by Pierre Zandrowicz, Atlas V
- Peep Show (Sp) by Nacho Vigalondo, Gaz VR
- The Android (Fr, Tai) by Gaelle Mourre, Digital Rise- DVgroup
- The Imaginary Friend (Neth, UK) by Steye Hallema, Submarine Channel
- Breathe (US, Can) by Milica Zec and Winslow Porter, New Reality Company
- Chomsky Vs Chomsky (Can) by Sandra Rodriguez, EyeSteelFilm
- Container (SA) by Meghna Singh and Simon Wood, Electric South
- Garden Of Vision (Col, Can) by Diana Rico Muñoz, 4Direcciones audio-visual
- Marco Polo Go Round (Can) by Ben Steiger Levine, Item 7
- Under the Skin (Braz, China) by João Inada, Luz Mágica Produções
BIENNALE COLLEGE CINEMA - VIRTUAL REALITY PROJECTS
- A City Of Foxes (US, Ind) by Nihaarika Negi, United Reality
- Deep Clot (China, Braz) by Mauricio Osaki, VRision Film
- Lightspeed VR (Rus) by Anton Outkine, Droog Drooga Film Company
- Meet Mortaza (Fr) by Josephine Derobe, Les Produits Frais
- Destiny (Fr) by Andrés Jarach, Atlas V
- Psychopompos (Fr) by Giulia Olivieri, La Bête