Philippe Ramos’ Mad Love was awarded the top prize at the Montreal World Film Festival.
The Montreal World Film Festival (Aug 27 - Sept 7) has revealed the award winners for its 2015 edition.
Philippe Ramos’ Mad Love took the top prize, the grand prize of the Americas, while the best director prize was shared between Mikko Kuparinen for 2 Nights Till Morning and Georgi Balabanov for The Petrov File.
Alongside its main awards, the festival presented British producer Lord Puttname with a special grand prize of the Americas for his “exceptional contribution to the world of cinema”.
- Grand Prize of the Americas: Mad Love, dir. Philippe Ramos (France)
- Special Grand Jury Award: Misafir (The Visitor/La Visiteuse), dir. Mehmet Eryilmaz (Turkey)
- Best director: 2 nights til morning, dir. Mikko Kuparinen (Finland / Luthania) and The Petrov File (Le Dossier Petrov), dir. Georgi Balabanov (Bulgaria / Germany)
- Best Actress: Malin Buska for The Girl King, dir. Mika Kaurismäki (Canada / Finland /Germany / Switzerland)
- Best Actor: Wolfram Berger for Rider Jack, dir. This Lüscher (Switzerland)
- Best Screenplay: Letnie Przesilenie for Summer Solstice (Solstice d’été), dir. Michal Rogalski (Poland/ Germany)
- Best Artistic contribution: Seven Days, dir. Xing Jian (China)
- Innovation Award: Un Instante En La Habana (Havana Moment), dir. Guillermo Ivàn Duenas (USA / Cuba / Mexico/ Colombia)
Zenith awards for best first fiction features:
- Golden Zenith for the Best First Fiction Feature Film: Chuyi (The Funeral / Les funérailles), dir. Qi Wang (China)
- Silver Zenith for the First Fiction Feature Film: Para Minha Amada Morta (To My Beloved / À Ma Bien Aimée), dir. Ali Muritiba (Brazil))
- Bronze Zenith for the First Fiction Feature Film: La Linea Delgada Amarilla (The Thin Yellow Line), dir. Celso Garcia (Mexico)
- Special Mentions of the First Feature Film Jury: Asman Aldynda (Under Heaven), dir. Dalmira Tilepbergen (Kyrgyzstan) and Rosa Chumbe from Jonatan Relayze (Peru)
- Public Awards for the most popular film of the Festival:Chucks, dir. Sabine Hiebler and Gerhard Ertl (Austria)
- Public Awards for the most popular Canadian film of the Festival:The Girl King, dir. Mika Kaurismäki (Canada / Finland /Germany / Switzerland)
- Glauber Rocha Award for the Best Latin American: La Delgada Linea Amarilla (The Thin Yellow Line), dir. Celso Garcia (Mexico)
- Award for Best Documentary: Marzia, Ystäväni (Marzia My Friend / Marzia Mon Amie), dir. Kirsi Mattila (Finland) and Playing Lecuona, dir. Pavel Giroud (Spain/Colombia)
- FIRPRESCI Prize: Misafir (The Visitor / La Visiteuse), dir. Mehmet Eryilmaz (Turkey)
- Ecumenical Jury Prize : L’Orchestre De Minuit, dir. Jérôme Cohen Olivar (Morroco)