Alfonso Cuarón’s ROMA won film of the year at the 39th London Critics’ Circle Film Awards, held last night (January 21) at The May Fair Hotel.
Cuarón also picked up director of the year, in a category against Debra Granik, Lynne Ramsay, Pawel Pawlikowski and Yorgos Lanthimos.
Lanthimos’ period comedy The Favourite received four awards: British/Irish film; screenwriter of the year for Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara; plus actress and supporting actress of the year for Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz respectively.
Pedro Almodóvar was present at the ceremony to accept the Dilys Powell Award for excellence in film, presented by Tamsin Greig.
Cold War received two prizes: foreign-language film of the year and the technical achievement award for Lukasz Zal’s cinematography.
Other winners including supporting actor of the year Richard E. Grant for Can You Ever Forgive Me?; breakthrough British/Irish filmmaker Michael Pearce for Beast; and young British/Irish performer of the year Molly Wright, for Apostasy.
Dame Heather Rabbatts of Time’s Up UK commented on the representation of women at the event. “We were delighted to see the Critics’ Circle nominate two female directors for director of the year at this year’s ceremony, which was hosted by a black woman [British comic Judi Love] for the first time.”
London Critics Circle 2019 winners
- Film Of The Year - ROMA
- Foreign-Language Film Of The Year - Cold War
- Documentary Of The Year - Faces Places
- British/Irish Film Of The Year: The Attenborough Award - The Favourite
- Director Of The Year - Alfonso Cuarón, ROMA
- Screenwriter Of The Year - Deborah Davis And Tony Mcnamara, The Favourite
- Actress Of The Year - Olivia Colman, The Favourite
- Actor Of The Year - Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
- Supporting Actress Of The Year - Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
- Supporting Actor Of The Year - Richard E Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- British/Irish Actress Of The Year - Jessie Buckley, Beast
- British/Irish Actor Of The Year - Rupert Everett, The Happy Prince
- Young British/Irish Performer Of The Year - Molly Wright, Apostasy
- Breakthrough British/Irish Filmmaker: The Philip French Award - Michael Pearce, Beast
- British/Irish Short Film - Three Centimetres, Dir. Lara Zeidan
- Technical Achievement Award - Cold War, Lukasz Zal (Cinematography)
- The Dilys Powell Award For Excellence In Film - Pedro Almodóvar
Last year Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri won the top prize.