Gianfranco Rosi’s Golden Bear winner faced off challenges from Jeff Nichols, Mia Hansen-Love and Mohamed Ben Attia.
Screen’s jury of international critics were in tune with the Berlinale’s international jury, led this year by Oscar-winning actress Meryl Steep, which awarded the film with the coveted Golden Bear for Best Film.
Fire At Sea led for the majority of the festival after scoring an impressive 3.3 rating, including five maximum four-star ratings.
Further titles to score an above-average rating were Lav Diaz’s eight-hour epic A Lullaby To The Sorrowful Mystery with 2.8 (averaged from five submitted ratings) and Alex Gibney’s cyber warfare documentary Zero Days with 2.5.
Berlinale Competition 2016
- 24 Weeks Anne Zohra Berrached (Ger)
- A Dragon Arrives! Mani Haghighi (Iran)
- A Lullaby To The Sorrowful Mystery Lav Diaz (Phil-Sing)
- Alone In Berlin Vincent Perez (Ger-Fra-UK)
- Being 17 André Téchiné (Fra)
- Boris Without Beatrice Denis Côté (Can)
- The Commune Thomas Vinterberg (Den-Swe-Neth)
- Crosscurrent Yang Chao (Chi)
- Death In Sarajevo Danis Tanović (Fra-B&H)
- Fire At Sea Gianfranco Rosi (Ita-Fra)
- Genius Michael Grandage (UK-US)
- Hedi Mohamed Ben Attia (Tun-Bel-Fra)
- Letters From War Ivo M. Ferreira (Por)
- Midnight Special Jeff Nichols (US)
- Soy Nero Rafi Pitts (Ger-Fra-Mex)
- Things To Come Mia Hansen-Løve (Fra-Ger)
- United States of Love Tomasz Wasilewski (Pol-Swe)
- Zero Days Alex Gibney (US)