As the next leg of the Sunny Side Global Network Tour, the second Asian Side of the Doc (ASD) coproduction market will be held in Seoul, Korea from March 7-10.
The co-production gathering for international documentary producers and commissioning editors will bring together 350 participants for pitching sessions, panel discussions and case study seminars as well as more casual networking opportunities.
ASD is organized by Sunny Side of the Doc and Bang Productions, with the support of NHK, ARTE, France Télévisions, CNC and CNEX. In addition, for the first time, the major Korean daily newspaper The Chosun Ilbo, which recently acquired a television broadcasting licence, will be a host sponsor.
The co-production market will consist of the following.
1. Pitching sessions: 24 selected projects (12 Asia-Pacific and 12 European), with at least one partner involved (a broadcaster, an international distributor or a foundation). The project must be developed, with a trailer, a budget and a coproduction strategy.
2. Side by Side meetings: one-on-one meetings are organized for all the projects’ producers, whether they are part of the pitching sessions or just registered for the catalogue.
3. Keynote Speakers: at least one from Asia and one from Europe, to share overviews.
4. Panels: for example, one about 3D non-fiction production, involving experts from both continents.
5. Three prizes: ASD will award prizes for Best European Project, Best Asian Project and Best Korean Project.
Previous coproduction market meetings have opened in New-York, Toronto, Washington, Montreal, London, Sofia, Buenos Aires and Hong Kong.