The International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) has revealed its selection for the 2018 edition of its co-production market CineMart.
A total of 16 projects have been chosen from close to 400 submissions.
Films selected include new projects from Hlynur Pálmason, whose Winter Brothers won awards at this year’s Locarno and CPH:PIX film festivals, Johnny Ma, whose Old Stone won the best Canadian first feature film award in Toronto this year, Gurvinder Singh, whose The Fourth Direction played at Cannes in 2015, and Ricardo Silva, whose Navajaro was an award winner at Locarno in 2014.
The 2018 edition of CineMart will run Jan 28-31 as part of the festival’s industry wing, IFFR PRO Days, which runs Jan 26 – Feb 2.
This year, CineMart has been streamlined to feature less projects, which the festival team hope will allow each film more breathing room.
“We’ve downsized the selection to 16 projects in order to give each project more care and attention. The projects now start preparations a month in advance with a specially appointed mentor. We’ve also implemented a new structure for the one-to-one meetings, which will be tailored more to the needs of each project. Additionally, CineMart presents a new format called Spotlight, in which the project teams and their mentors discuss each project publicly for all CineMart guests,” commented IFFR industry head Marit van den Elshout.
CineMart will hand out four awards this year: the Eurimages Co-Production Development Award of €20,000 for a European co-production; the ARTE International Prize of €6,000 for an international co-production; the Wouter Barendrecht Award of €5,000 for a project by a director under 35 years of age; and the Filmmore Postproduction Award of €7,500 to be used for colour grading and visual effects.
The full line-up of projects is:
- Check Me in Another Place, Matt Porterfield, Le Bureau/The Hamilton Film Group (France/USA)
- Disco Afrika, Luck Razanajaona, We Film (France/Madagascar)
- Electrocute, Gastón Solnicki, Rei Cine SRL (Argentina)
- Medusa, Anita Rocha da Silveira, Bananeira Filmes/Ciné-Sud Promotion (Brazil/France)
- Mitra, Kaweh Modiri, BALDR Film (the Netherlands)
- Mon légionnaire, Rachel Lang, Chevaldeuxtrois/Wrong Men (France/Belgium)
- Moonblood, Jesper Dalgaard, Beofilm (Denmark)
- Nathan Won’t Ride, Dean Loxton, Lions Den Films (United Kingdom)
- Ô mon amour, Jean-Gabriel Périot, Local Films (France)
- Qaim Deen, Gurvinder Singh, The Film Cafe (India)
- Sagres, Lovisa Sirén, [sic] film (Sweden)
- Sleepwalk, Ricardo Silva, Spécola/Ryan Zacarias (Mexico/USA)
- To Live to Sing, Johnny Ma, Image X Productions (China)
- Waterwolf, Ann-Julie Vervaeke, Earlybirds Films (Belgium)
- When My Life Was My Life, Carolina Markowicz, Superfilmes/Yourmama/Ajimolido Films (Brazil/Argentina)
- A White, White Day, Hlynur Pálmason, Join Motion Pictures/Snowglobe (Iceland/Denmark)