The TorinoFilmLab (TFL) has announced the ten new projects selected for the 2018 FeatureLab.
Coming from Europe, Latin America and Asia these projects will be developed for six months at a workshop held in Sardinia with the help of the already announced tutors, headed by Romanian director Cristian Mungiu (4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days).
Six of the ten films have female directors.
Focusing on first and second feature films, the TFL FeatureLab selects projects at an advanced stage of production and helps a team of directors, scriptwriters and producers get their ideas on screen. Eight out of the selected projects are debut films.
TorinoFilmLab has also selected three film professionals to receive advanced training on audience engagement strategies for feature film: Alban de Fraipont (Belgium), digital communication and marketing strategist with a background web programming and video editing; Nanna Lykke (Denmark), audience designer for Beofilm, working on both feature and TV series projects; Anna Ragagnin (Italy), production assistant for the production company HT Film, which specialises in film funding.
Six films developed within FeatureLab premiered at international festivals in 2018 so far, with American satirical comedy Diamantino, by Gabriel Abrantes and Daniel Schmidt, set to compete in Cannes Critics’ Week.
The TorinoFilmLab training will conclude with the annual TFL Meeting Event (23-24 November 2018), where the filmmakers will present their projects to to an audience of Decision Makers.
This year’s projects are:
- Blood And Water, writer/dir. Jianjie Lin, prod. Yiwen Wang (China) - Debut
- Costa Brava Lebanon, writer/dir. Mounia Akl, co-writer Clara Roquet, prod. Myriam Sassine (Lebanon) - Debut
- First Million (The), writer/dir. Maja Milos, prod. Jelena Mitrović (Serbia)
- Settlers (The), writer/dir. Felipe Gálvez, prod. Giancarlo Nasi (Chile) - Debut
- Small Body, writer/dir. Laura Samani, prod. Nadia Trevisan (Italy) - Debut
- Three, writer/dir. Juanjo Giménez, co-writer Pere Altimira, prod. Luisa Romeo (Spain) - Debut
- Titanic Ocean, writer/dir. Konstantina Kotzamani, prod. Maria Drandaki (Greece) - Debut
- Woodcutter Story (The), writer/dir. Mikko Myllylahti, prod. Jussi Rantamäki (Finland) - Debut
- You Are There, dir. Nicole Woodford, prod. Jeremy Chua (Singapore) - Debut
- Yuni, writer/dir. Kamila Andini, prod. Ifa Isfansyah (Indonesia)
TorinoFilmLab is promoted by Museo Nazionale del Cinema, with the support of the Creative Europe - MEDIA Sub-programme of the European Union, MIBACT - Ministero dei beni e delle attività culturali e del turismo, Regione Piemonte and Città di Torino. It collaborates with Film Commissiojn Torino Piemonte.