Recipients include Chile’s Dominga Sotomayor [pictured].
The Hubert Bals Fund of the International Film Festival Rotterdam has selected 25 film projects that receive grants for script development, digital production, postproduction, distribution or workshops.
In total for this autumn 2012 selection round, €330,000 is awarded to films from Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America and Africa.
Notable projects include script development money for Late To Die Young (Tarde para morir joven) by Chile’s Dominga Sotomayor, whose Thursday Till Sunday won a Tiger Award earlier this year and was also supported by HBF.
Milargos Mumenthaler, who previously got HBF support for Back To Stay, will get digital production support for Air Pocket, a more experimental feature.
What They Don’t Talk About When They Talk About Love, by Indonesia’s Mouly Surya, gets a post production grant and is also likely to screen at the IFFR 2013 (Jan 23-Feb 3). The film is about the dynamics between a group of teenagers.
The backed projects also include new films from Turkey’s Özcan Alper, Mexico’s Eduardo Villanueva and India’s Amit Dutta.
Hubert Bals Fund
Fall 2013 Selection Round in full
Post-production & final-financing
- Noche (Night)
Leonardo Brzezicki (Argentina)
- O Rio nos pretence (Rio Belongs to Us)
Ricardo Pretti (Brazil)
- O Uivo da Gaita (The Harmonica’s Howl)
Bruno Safadi (Brazil)
- On Mother’s Head
Kusuma Widjaja Putu (Indonesia)
- Yang Tidak Dibicarakan Ketika Membicarakan Cinta (What They Don’t Talk About When They Talk About Love)
Mouly Surya (Indonesia)
- Larzanandeye Charbi (Fat Shaker)
Mohammad Shirvani (Iran)
- Something Necessary
Judy Kibinge (Kenya)
Eduardo Villanueva (Mexico)
- A Corner of Heaven
Zhang Miaoyan (China)
- Pozo de aire (Air Pocket)
Milagros Mumenthaler (Argentina)
Script and project development
- Otra madre (Another Mother)
Mariano Luque (Argentina)
Igor Drljaca (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Elon Rabin Não Acredita na Morte (Elon Rabin Doesn’t Believe in Death)
Ricardo Alves Jr. (Brazil)
- Tarde para morir joven (Late To Die Young)
Dominga Sotomayor (Chile)
- Oscuro animal (Obscure Animal)
Felipe Guerrero (Colombia)
Chaitanya Tamhane (India)
- The Room on a Tree
Amit Dutta (India)
- Extraño pero verdadero (Strange But True)
Michel Lipkes (Mexico)
- Tempestad (Tempestuous)
John Torres (Philippines)
- Days of Cannibalism
Teboho Edkins (South Africa)
- Rüzgarli Bir Güne Agit (Requiem for a Windy Day)
Özcan Alper (Turkey)
- Atambua 39° Celsius
Riri Riza (Indonesia)
- NAAS Training Workshop (Egypt)
- Digital Cinema Workshop Series (Morocco)
- Cinema Land (Vietnam)