1. Sweet Country - Thunderbird Releasing (£157,500)
Warwick Thornton’s Australian western was a critical hit after its premiere at Venice in 2017, before berths in Toronto, London and Sundance, but the film disappointed in the UK, grossing £123,993.
2. Beast - Altitude Film Distribution (£150,000)
Michael Pearce’s feature debut Beast, starring Jessie Buckley and Johnny Flynn, was released in April following its Toronto 2017 premiere. The film took £418,359 in the UK.
3. Matangi / Maya / M.I.A. - Dogwoof (£147,562.00)
Steve Loveridge‘s feature documentary about Sri Lankan musician M.I.A. took £137,133 from its UK run.
4. The Miseducation Of Cameron Post - Vertigo Releasing (£140,000)
Directed by Desiree Akhavan and starring Chloe Grace Moretz as a young girl sent to a gay conversion therapy centre, the film premiered at Sundance in 2018 and was released by Vertigo in September, taking £370,019.
5. First Features - Distribution Support Scheme Verve Pictures (£135,000)
This award was given to UK distributor Verve Pictures to cover a slate of debut feature releases. The first two, Pond Life and Old Boys, will be released in April and February 2019 respectively, and four more titles will be backed before September 2019.
6. Lean On Pete - Curzon Film World (£124,901)
The latest film from 45 Years director Andrew Haigh took £499,871 from its UK run, following its premiere at Venice in 2017.
7. Yardie - Studiocanal (£120,000)
Idris Elba’s directorial debut built to a strong £1.2m in the UK, after premiering at Sundance in 2018.
8. The Rider - Altitude Film Distribution (£100,000)
Chloe Zhao’s much-loved modern western The Rider, which premiered in Cannes Directors’ Fortnight in 2018, underwhelmed from its UK run, taking £102,672.
9. Skate Kitchen - Modern Films (£100,000)
Crystal Moselle’s New York-set drama took a soft £48,977 in the UK, following its premiere at Sundance in 2018.
10. Support for Shoplifters and Burning - Thunderbird Releasing (£100,000)
While Burning won’t hit UK cinemas until February 2019, this year’s Cannes Palme d’Or winner Shoplifters is up to £478,229 at the box office, and is still on release.