Event specialist Secret Cinema is “very confident” that it will launch its latest production this weekend after having to cancel its opening due to “licensing reasons”.
In a statement to ticket holders, Secret Cinema said: “We are very confident that we will go ahead as planned to launch Secret Cinema 020 tomorrow evening [May 2].
“We are resolving the final issue with the local authorities and will come back to you tomorrow at midday.
“Thank you for your continued patience and understanding. We are doing everything we can and will not stop until we can make this happen.”
However, there had still been no update by 1pm on Thursday.
Ticket holders had been promised an update the previous evening [May 1] and some took to Facebook to voice their disappointment that the news was not more definitive.
Collin Amner said: “So basically, it’s still up in the air whether or not the events are going ahead and there are still outstanding issues that need to be resolved. Can you outline what the refund procedure is for ticket holders, either online or via email. Thanks.”
Others were more positive and Andrew Holbook said: “Fingers crossed! Hope you manage to pull it off. Very excited.”
Secret Cinema was forced to cancel the opening of its latest production and three subsequent nights just hours before its launch last Thursday [April 25] due to “licensing reasons”.
At that time, a statement from parent company Future Shorts said: “We have been prevented from opening our latest production, due to unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control regarding the building we are using”.
Organisers posted the apology online and held an alternative showing of Footloose at the Troxy in Stepney on Saturday.
Set to take part in the London borough of Croydon, the sold out event would have marked the launch of the 20th Secret Cinema production, which has recently included a screenings of The Shawshank Redemption and Prometheus.
As with many Secret Cinema events, it would have included theatre and roleplay ahead of the screening of a film that has been kept a closely guarded secret.
The latest production is due to run Thursday to Sunday every weekend until June 9.
A Croydon council spokesman said: “The police, council and Secret Cinema are working together to ensure the event can go ahead as quickly as possible.
“There are a small number of outstanding issues to deal with and as soon as the organisers can satisfy the police’s safety requirements we are confident they will be able to announce a new date for the opening night.”