US actor Kevin Spacey has said he will “voluntarily appear” before UK courts to defend himself against four cases of sexual assault, in a statement given to US TV programme Good Morning America.
The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed last week that Spacey had been charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men. Three complaints relate to sexual abuse which is alleged to have taken place in London between 2005 and 2008, and one in Gloucestershire in 2013.
Spacey’s statement follows reports that he would need to be extradited from the US to face the UK court, if he did not return of his own volition.
Spacey said in the statement that he is “confident” he can prove his innocence.
Through a spokesperson, Spacey told Good Morning America: “I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service’s statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise.
”While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.”
Spacey is a two-time Oscar winner known for roles in American Beauty, The Usual Suspects and Netflix series House of Cards. He was also the artistic director at London’s Old Vic theatre between 2004 and 2015.
In a statement last Thursday (May 26), Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS special crime division, said: “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men.
“He has also been charged with causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. The charges follow a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan police in its investigation.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”
No comments yet