Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema brings together 24 films chosen by Scorsese, including The Last Day of Summer and Camouflage [pictured].
KINOTEKA Polish Film Festival, BFI Southbank and Filmhouse Edinburgh are collaborating on a national UK tour of Polish cinema.
Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema brings together 24 films chosen by Scorsese, all restored and digitally remastered to 2K resolution, as well as a series of contextual workshops, talks, exhibitions and special guests, all with the aim of exploring Polish film culture.
Scorsese commented: “These are films that have great emotional and visual power – they’re ‘serious’ films that, with their depth, stand up to repeated viewings. There are many revelations in the season and whether you’re familiar with some of these films or not, it’s an incredible opportunity to discover for yourself the great power of Polish Cinema, on the big screen.”
The season includes films from the likes of Andrzej Wajda, Krzysztof Zanussi, Andrzej Munk, Jerzy Kawalerowicz, Wojciech J Has, Roman Polański, Krzysztof Kieślowski and Agnieszka Holland, among others.
Kicking off on April 8 at BFI Southbank and repeated on April 10 at Edinburgh Filmhouse, the tour will open with a screening of Camouflage (1976) with director Krzysztof Zanussi in attendance. It continues throughout April and May at the two venues.
A national tour presented by Filmhouse and KINOTEKA, with the support of the BFI, will continue at venues throughout the UK until the end of September. Confirmed cities include Aberdeen, Belfast, Canterbury, Dublin, Glasgow and Sheffield, among others.
It is organised by DI Factory, Propaganda Foundation, all DOTS and The Film Foundation, in co-operation with Tor, Zebra, Kadr film studios and CRF, in partnership with the National Audiovisual Institute of Poland, and with the support of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland and the Polish Film Institute.
The full list of titles is as follows:
- Eroica (1957) Dir: Andrzej Munk
- The Last Day of Summer (1958) Dir. Tadeusz Konwicki
- Ashes and Diamonds (1958) Dir. Andrzej Wajda
- Knights of the Black Cross (1960) Dir. Aleksander Ford
- Night Train (1959) Dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz
- Innocent Sorcerers (1960) Dir. Andrzej Wajda
- Knife in the Water (1961) Dir. Roman Polański
- Mother Joan of the Angels (1961) Dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz
- The Saragossa Manuscript (1964) Dir. Wojciech J Has
- Pharoah (1965) Dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz
- Jump (1965) Dir. Tadeusz Konwicki
- Walkover (1965) Dir. Jerzy Skolimowski
- The Illumination (1972) Dir. Krzysztof Zanussi
- To Kill This Love (1972) Dir. Janusz Morgenstern
- The Wedding (1972) Dir. Andrzej Wajda
- The Hourglass Sanatorium (1973) Dir. Wojciech J Has
- The Promised Land (1974) Dir. Andrzej Wajda
- Camouflage (1976) Dir. Krzysztof Zanussi
- Provincial Actors (1978) Dir. Agnieszka Holland
- The Constant Factor (1980) Dir. Krzysztof Zanussi
- Blind Chance (1981) Dir. Krzysztof Kieślowski
- Man of Iron (1981) Dir. Andrzej Wajda
- Austeria (1982) Dir. Jerzy Kawalerowicz
- A Short Film About Killing (1987) Dir. Krzysztof Kieślowski.