The line-up of the 75th Venice Film Festival (August 29 – September 8) has been revealed.
This year features a host of big name directors, a strong showing from the streaming giants… but few female filmmakers.
Scroll down for the full line-up
Jennifer Kent (The Babadook) is the only woman director in the 20-strong competition strand with gothic thriller The Nightingale, starring Sam Claflin.
As expected, several titles that were once tipped for Cannes will now debut at the Biennale.
Among them are Alfonso Cuaron’s Mexican drama ROMA and Orson Welles’ restored final film The Other Side Of The Wind (debuting as a special event), both denied a spot at the French festival because of the Netflix/Cannes spat.
Mike Leigh’s Amazon-backed Peterloo, a surprising Cannes omission, is also in competition and will give the director a chance to win another Golden Lion (he won for Vera Drake in 2004).
The streaming giants are well represented this year. Besides Peterloo, Amazon also have Luca Guadagnino’s hotly anticipated Suspiria remake, starring Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, Mia Goth in competition.
Other Netflix titles in the line-up (they have six in total) include Paul Greengrass’ Norway terror attack drama July 22 and the Coen brothers’ western anthology The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs, formerly a series but now a feature film, the directors revealed today.
The other competition title with UK involvement is Yorgos Lanthimos’ buzzy period comedy The Favourite, from Element Pictures and Film4 and distributed by Fox Searchlight.
The best represented nations in competition are the United States and France, with eight projects apiece according to the festival. 21 films in the line-up as a whole have French involvement.
Palme d’Or winner Jacques Audiard’s first English-language film The Sisters Brothers will add star power to Venice. The dark comedy western stars Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed.
Other big-name directors announced include László Nemes, following up his critically acclaimed Son Of Saul with pre-WW1 Budapest-set Napszallta (Sunset), and Zhang Yimou’s period martial arts title Shadow, screening out of competition.
Finally, Venice will debut the first two episodes of HBO’s My Brilliant Friend, based on the bestselling books by Elena Ferrante, as a special screening.
As previously announced, Damien Chazelle’s First Man will open the festival in competition. Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut A Star Is Born will also have its world premiere out-of-competition at the event.
- First Man (US), dir. Damien Chazelle
- The Mountain (US) dir. Rick Alverson
- Doubles Vies (France) dir. Olivier Assayas
- The Sisters Brothers (France, Belgium, Romania, Spain) dir. Jacques Audiard
- The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (US) dir. Ethan, Joel Coen
- ROMA (Mexico) dir. Alfonso Cuaron
- Vox Lux (US) dir. Brady Corbet
- Suspiria (Italy) dir. Luca Guadagnino
- The Nightingale (Australia) dir. Jennifer Kent
- The Favourite (US, UK, Ireland) dir. Yorgos Lanthimos
- Peterloo (UK, USA) dir. Mike Leigh
- Capri-Revolution (Italy, France) dir. Mario Martone
- What You Gonna Do When The World’s On Fire? (Italy, USA, France) dir. Roberto Minervini
- Napszallta (Sunset) (Hungary, France) dir. Laszlo Nemes
- Nuestro Tiempo (Mexico, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden) dir. Carlos Reygadas
- At Eternity’s Gate (USA, France) dir. Julian Schnabel
- Acusada (Argentina, Mexico) dir. Gonzalo Tobal
- Zan (Killing) (Japan) dir. Shinya Tsukamoto
- 22 July (Norway, Iceland) dir. Paul Greengrass
- Werk Ohne Autor (Germany) dir. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
- Frères Ennemis (France, Belgium) dir. David Oelhoffen
Out of Competition (fiction)
- A Star Is Born (USA) dir. Bradley Cooper
- Una Storia Senza Nome (Italy) dir. Roberto Anno
- Les Estivants (France, Italy) dir. Valeria Bruni Tedeschi
- Mi Obra Maestra (Argentina, Spain) dir. Gaston Duprat
- A Tramway In Jerusalem (Isreal, France) dir. Amos Gitai
- Un Peuple Et Son Roi (France, Belgium) dir. Pierre Schoeller
- La Quietud (Argentina) dir. Pablo Trapero
- Dragged Across Concrete (Canada, USA) dir. S. Craig Zahler
- Ying (Shadow) (China) dir. Zhang Yimou
Out of Competition (non-fiction)
- Carmine Street Guitars (Canada) dir. Ron Mann
- Process dir. (Netherlands) Sergei Loznitsa
- El Pepe, Una Vida Suprema (Argentina, Uruguay, Serbia) dir. Emir Kusturica
- Aquarela (UK, Germany) dir. Victor Kossakovsky
- A Letter To A Friend In Gaza (Isreal) dir. Amos Gitai
- Isis, Tomorrow. The Lost Souls Of Mosul. (Italy, Germany) dir. Frencesca Mannocchi, Alessio Romenzi
- American Dharma (USA, UK) dir. Errol Morris
- Introduzione All’oscuro (Argentina, Austria) dir. Gaston Solnicki
- 1938 Diversi (Italy) dir. Giorgio Treves
- Ni De Lian (Your Face) (Chinese Taipei) dir. Tsai Ming-Liang
- Monrovia, Indiana (USA) dir. Frederick Wiseman
Out of competition (special events)
- The Other Side Of The Wind (USA) dir. Orson Welles
- They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead (USA) dir. Morgan Neville
Out of competition (special screenings)
- L’amica Geniale (My Brilliant Friend) (Italy, Belgium) dir. Saverio Costanzo
- Il Diario Di Angela - Noi Due Cineasti (Italy) dir. Yervant Gianikian
- Sulla Mia Pelle (Italy) dir. Alessio Cremonini - OPENING FILM
- Kraben Rahu (Manta Ray) (Thailand, France, China) dir. Phuttiphong Aroonpheng
- Soni (India) dir. Ivan Ayr
- Ozen (The River) (Kazakhstan, Poland, Norway) dir. Emir Baigazin
- La Noche De 12 Anos (Spain, Argentina, France) dir. Alvaro Brechner
- Deslembro (Brazil, France, Qatar) dir. Flavia Castro
- Anons (The Announcement) (Turkey, Bulgaria) dir. Mahmut Fazil Coskun
- Un Giorno All’Improvviso (Italy) dir. Ciro D’Emilio
- Charlie Says (USA) dir. Mary Harron
- Amanda (France) dir. Mikhael Hers
- Yom Adaatou Zouli (The Day I Lost My Shadow) (Syria, Lebanon, France, Qatar) dir. Soudade Kaadan
- L’Enkas (France) dir. Sarah Marx
- Tchelovek Kotorij Udivil Vseh (The Man Who Surprised Everyone) (Russia, Estonia, France) dir. Natasha Maerkulova, Aleksey Chupov
- Kucumbu Tubuh Indahku (Through The Holes) (Indonesia, Australia) dir. Garin Nugroho
- Hamchenan Ke Mimordan (As I Lay Dying) (Iran) dir. Mostafa Sayyari
- La Profezia Dell’Armadillo (Italy) dir. Emanuele Scaringi
- Erom (Stripped) (Isreal, Germany) dir. Yaron Shani
- Jinpa (China) dir. Pema Tseden
- Tel Aviv On Fire (Luxembourg, France, Israel, Belgium) dir. Sameh Zoabi
Sconfini (formerly Cinema in the Garden)
- Blood Kin (USA) dir. Ramin Bahrani
- Il Banchiere Anarchico (Italy) dir. Giulio Base
- The Tree Of Life Extended Cut (USA) dir. Terrence Malick
- L’Heure De La Sortie (France) dir. Sebastien Marnier
- Magic Lantern (USA) dir. Amir Naderi
- Camorra (Italy) dir. Francesco Patierno
- Arrivederci Saigon (Italy) dir. Wilma Labate
- Il Ragazzo Più Felice Del Mondo (The Young Fan) (Italy) dir. Gipi
- Friedkin Uncut (Italy) dir. Francesco Zippel
- Nice Girls Don’t Stay For Breakfast (USA) dir. Bruce Weber
- 24/25 Il Fotogramma In Più (Italy) dir. Giancarlo Rolandi, Federico Pontiggia
- Living The Light – Robby Müller (Netherlands, Germany) dir. Claire Pijman
- Humberto Mauro (Brazil) dir. André Di Mauro
- Women Make Film: A New Road Movie Through Cinema (UK) dir. Mark Cousins
- The Great Buster: A Celebration (USA) dir. Peter Bogdanovich
- They Live (USA) Dir. John Carpenter
- Il Portiere Di Notte (The Night Porter) (Italy) Dir. Liliana Cavani
- The Naked City (USA) Dir. Jules Dassin
- Khesht O Ayeneh (Brick And Mirror) (Iran) Dir. Ebrahim Golestan
- Akasen Chitai (Street Of Shame) (Japan) Dir. Kenji Mizoguchi
- Il Posto (Italy) Dir. Ermanno Olmi
- L’année Dernière À Marienbad (Last Year At Marienbad) (France, Italy) Dir. Alain Resnais
- El Lugar Sin Límites (The Place Without Limits) (Mexico) Dir. Arturo Ripstein
- Adieu Philippine (France, Italy) Dir. Jacques Rozier
- Voskhozhdeniye (The Ascent) (Russia) Dir. Larisa Shepitko
- The Killers (USA) Dir. Don Siegel
- The Killers (USA) Dir. Robert Siodmak
- La Notte Di San Lorenzo (The Night Of The Shooting Stars) (Italy) Dir. Paolo E Vittorio Taviani
- Koi Ya Koi Nasuna Koi (Love, Thy Name Be Sorrow Aka The Mad Fox) (Japan) Dir. Tomu Uchida
- Morte A Venezia (Death In Venice) (Italy, France, Usa) Dir. Luchino Visconti
- Der Golem – Wie Er In Die Welt Kam (The Golem – How He Came Into The World) (Germany) Dir. Paul Wegener
- Nothing Sacred (USA) Dir. William A. Wellman
- Some Like It Hot (USA) Dir. Billy Wilder
The Shape Of Water director Guillermo del Toro will preside over the International Jury of the Competition this year.