The 18-strong competition line-up for the 70th Berlin International Film Festival (Feb 20-Mar 1) has been unveiled by the festival’s new executive director Mariette Rissenbeek and artistic director Carlo Chatrian.
Among the titles selected are new work by Sally Potter, Kelly Reichardt, Hong Sangsoo, Philippe Garrel, Rithy Panh, Tsai Ming-Liang and Silver Bear winner Christian Petzold.
Other intriguing projects include Burhan Qurbani’s Berlin Alexanderplatz and Ilya Khrzhanovskiy and Jekaterina Oertel’s long-gestating project DAU. Natasha.
Six of the 18 films selected are directed or co-directed by women this year.
Philippe Falardeau’s My Salinger Year, starring Sigourney Weaver and Margaret Qualley was previously announced to open the festival.
- Berlin Alexanderplatz (Germany/Netherlands) - dir. Burhan Qurbani
- DAU. Natasha (Germany/Ukraine/UK/Russia) - dir. Ilya Khrzhanovskiy and Jekaterina Oertel
- The Woman Who Ran (Korea) - dir. Hong Sangsoo
- Delete History (France/Belgium) - dirs. Benoît Delépine and Gustave Kervern
- The Intruder (Argentina/Mexico) - dir. Natalia Meta
- Bad Tales (Italy/Switzerland) - dirs. Damiano D’Innocenzo and Fabio D’Innocenzo
- First Cow (USA) - dir. Kelly Reichardt
- Irradiated (France/Cambodia) - dir. Rithy Panh
- The Salt Of Tears (France/Switzerland) - dir. Philippe Garrel
- Never Rarely Sometimes Always (USA) - dir. Eliza Hittman
- Days (Taiwan) - dir. Ming-Liang Tsai
- The Roads Not Taken (UK) - dir. Sally Potter
- My Little Sister (Switzerland) - dirs. Stéphanie Chuat and Véronique Reymond
- There Is No Evil (Germany/Czech Republic/Iran) - dir. Mohammad Rasoulof
- Siberia (Italy/Germany/Mexico) - dir. Abel Ferrara
- All the Dead Ones (Brazil/France) - dirs. Caetano Gotardo and Marco Dutra
- Undine (Germany/France) - dir. Christian Petzold
- Hidden Away (Italy) - dir. Giorgio Diritti
Berlinale Special Gala at Berlinale Palast
- Onward (USA) - dir. Dan Scanlon
Berlinale Special Gala at Friedrichstadt-Palast
- Curveball (Germany)- dir. Johannes Naber
Berlinale Special at Haus der Berliner Festspiele
- DAU. Degeneration (Germany/Ukraine/UK/Russia) - dir. Ilya Khrzhanovskiy, Ilya Permyakov (series)
- Speer Goes to Hollywood (Israel) - dir. Vanessa Lapa (documentary)